Friday, February 16, 2018
Thoughts from Mrs. Lewis....
Note the following change - Common Assessments have been moved from 2/13-2/16 to 2/20-2/23. Have you turned in your common assessment?
DISTRICT REQUIREMENT: Please remind teachers of the district expectation to enter grades in PowerSchool on a weekly basis. Parents, guardians, and student use the Parent/Student Portal to check grades and should be able to see their up-to-date progress.
Employee Health Fair
Please do everything in our power to be at school each and every day. At this time, we have a lot of staff members sick. All doctor's appts, etc. should be scheduled after school. Thanks!
https://www.smore.com/g023k (EC Newsletter)
Mental Health Newsletter for February
Human Resource Newsletter
Intent Forms go out on Monday, February 19th and are due back on March 2nd.
I received this email from a 6th Grader. This is a testimony to the great things you do. "Spring hill is a great school to be part of. This school has great opportunities. The Teachers are great."
Teachers be reminded that cumulative folders must be checked out before retrieving from the records room. At all times, folders must be secured and accounted for. Please see Ms. Gibson for the key to access cumulative folders.
Please be reminded progress reports go home next week on Wednesday (2/21)
Parent/Teacher Conferences will be held on Thursday (2/22). We will dismiss at 12:17. Lunch will be provided. Please ensure that you provide seating for your parents and make them feel welcome. See the Early Dismissal schedule attached.
Retention Letters will go out on Monday, Feb. 19. Please work with your team to determine your list using the criteria provided. No student will be considered for retention unless they meet the criteria on the sheet (MTSS Tier 3, CFST/IEP, Signed Potential Failure Sheet, Parents notified and conversations had)
- We will now celebrate our students each 9 weeks. A tentative Awards Date have been set for the 3rd Nine weeks, March 27. Mark your calendars. Stay tuned for more details.
- If you have any SIT agenda items, please give to your grade level rep. We will meet on Tuesday, Feb 20.
- A reminder that this is the first year that 8th grade students enrolled in NC Math I will not be required to take the 8th grade Math EOG. Scores for students taking NC Math I in 8th grade will only count for the middle school and will not be banked for the high school. Please ensure that 8th grade Math teachers are preparing separate lessons for 8th grade Math and NC Math I.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS AND MATHEMATICS STANDARD COURSE OF STUDY UPDATES: An update on the roll-out of the K-12 English Language Arts and K-8 Mathematics Standard Course of Study (both scheduled for implementation during the 2018-19 school year) will be presented to the NC State Board of Education at their February meeting. To access the presentation materials or to listen in on the audio stream for any of the SBE meetings, please visit: https://stateboard.ncpublicschools.go
POWERSCHOOL should be updated weekly. This is a school and district expectation.
CELL PHONE CONFISCATION: Teachers who confiscate cell phones should be mindful that you are responsible for the phone in your care. Please lock phones in a secure location until turning over to the front office. Tape a note to the phone with student name, date, type of phone and teacher confiscating. Please do not give the phone to a third party to bring to the office.
Please be reminded that administrators can only assign ISS. Teachers should not assign ISS, use ISS as a bounce, or for lunch detention.
If you need to move a student or two on your team from one homeroom to another, please speak with Mrs. Lewis. You will then need to notify the parent and Ms. Lynette so that she can make changes in Powerschool.
Are you interested in going to the NC Ties Conference (Technology)? If so, please let me know ASAP.
- Mrs. Macy will be out until the end of the month recovering from knee surgery. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers.
Please keep Ms. E. Johnson in your prayers. Her aunt passed this past week.
Help Us Celebrate Black History Month here at Spring Hill by signing up for our Soul Food Pot Luck! Consider all the wonderful cuisines that you eat that remind and keep us grateful for the food we eat in the south. All you have to do is sign up in our Teacher Lounge. Let us all participate, all enjoy, and all eat! If you have any questions, please see Mr. Dunham.
- Student are able to request club changes by emailing Ms. Brayboy.
- 2nd semester club meetings: March 2, March 9, April 13, April 20.
- Make sure to put your attendance roster from our first club meeting in Ms. Brayboy's box so it can be corrected.
- The AR Event will be held on Tuesday, February 20, 2018. It will be held in the gym from 12:20pm - 2:20pm. Students will be watching a movie entitled "Wonder". Congratulations to the 90 students who qualified.
- There will be a "mock" Battle of the Books on Wednesday, February 21 from 8:30am - 9:30am. Students who are on the Battle of the Books team will report to class as soon as this "mock" competition is over! If you have any questions, please see Mrs. Harris.
- Dates for the Book Fair are Feb. 21-Mar 5. There will be a parent event that coincides with Parent Teacher Conference Day on February 22nd. Any student who brings a parent/guardian to look at Book Fair merchandise will be eligible for a $20 gift certificate to the Book Fair.
- Thank you to Leigh Carter for coordinating the Magnet Elementary visits. Kudos to the 9 students that led the presentations!
- Kudos to Lynette, Audrey, Mr. Bream, Mrs. Williams, Mrs. Best, Mrs. Carter, Mrs. Gore, Mrs. Griswold, Mrs. Salzlein. Ms. Brayboy and Mr. Dunham for your blood, sweat and tears to make the Magnet Showcase happen. Parents were very impressed!
- Thank you to all staff members that have helped make Ms. Grady's transition to Spring Hill a smooth one. #Springhillfamily
- Please give a shout out to Dr. Hasty, Mrs. T. Johnson and and Mr. Hersey for serving as an admin for the day during our absence. Your help was greatly appreciated!
- Thank you to our SHMS PTO for providing lunch for us on Valentine's. Thank you Ms. Audrey for setting everything up!
- Thank you to our coaches for their guidance and hard work during the winter season...Mr. Hersey, Mr. Cain, Ms. Allen and Mr. Lawson! We appreciate your time and efforts with our students.
Thank you to our SIT Team for meet for our mid-year Review. Looking forward to a great 2nd half of the year!
- Utilizing your Canvas course container is an effective way to continue instruction during school closing or delays. If they have questions or need guidance, please direct them to either Kevin Combs or Candice Freeman for assistance.
Make sure to notify administration or Mrs. Fehlman when you suspect child abuse or neglect. See the agreement between SCS and DSS here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11pVs4aMBIqUxqPBjfVgXJZtMOg9LaEzHGrc-ICsha-E/edit
From Cabinet- just a reminder that your teachers should be entering their own absences in AESOP. The school bookkeeper or no other staff should be putting in absences for anyone unless there is an emergency that arises.
- Do you have paper on your door or covering your door window? If so, please remove due to fire code violations.
IT is an expectation that planning takes place each week and that all teachers are present and all time. Even if you are 2 weeks ahead, planning should take place each week for the entire time.
Are you calling parents??? Make sure you are calling parents regarding attendance concerns (and document such). When we go to court, it helps when we can show ALL the contacts that have been made from the school (not just from PowerSchool letters and Social Worker contacts) (From Cabinet)]
Monday, February 19 - Teacher Intent Letters Distributed; Math / Science Teacher Mtg (Library)
Tuesday, February 20- ELA/SS/Science PLCs; SIT Meeting 4:00
Wednesday, February 21- Electives Meeting at 12:30; Progress Reports go Home; MTSS Meetings during Planning
Thursday, February 22- PBIS Movie Incentive 9:00am; 1/2 Day Parent-Teacher Conferences
Friday, February 23- Field Trips to Marksmen Hockey Game
Tuesday, February 27- Chocolate Fundraiser Pizza and Glow Party 12:00pm; ELA/SS/Science PLCs; Awards Program (3rd Nine Weeks)
Wednesday, February 28- Black History Month Program Assembly (morning assembly schedule)
Friday, March 2 - Teacher Intent Letters are Due