Substance Abuse Awareness for Youth
Mecklenburg County Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC)
The STAY program is an initiative by Mecklenburg County ABC to address Substance Training Awareness for Youth in partnership with Anuvia and Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools. The purpose is to help our youth understand the health and legal risks associated with alcohol and other drug use. The Mecklenburg County ABC Board provides annual funding to support community organizations for alcohol education and treatment of over $4 million annually. Anuvia is an alcohol and drug education, prevention, assessment and treatment program financially supported by the Mecklenburg County ABC Board.
For Substance Abuse help visit our website www.meckabc.com/Resources/Helpful-links
- · Use strategies for avoiding binge drinking.
- · Contrast prescription medications, nonprescription medications, and illegal substances in terms of their use and abuse
- · Summarize the risks of IV drug use, including blood borne diseases.
- · Analyze the role of family, community, and cultural norms in deciding to use alcohol or other drugs.
- · Predict the effects of substance abuse on other people as well as society as a whole.
- · Identify ways to avoid riding in a car or engaging in other risky behavior with someone who is under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- · Describe the major alcohol and drug issues among CMS high school students.
Day 1: Classroom presentation of substance training awareness by uniformed Mecklenburg County ABC Officers.
Day 2: Opportunity to drive a cart while wearing fatal vision goggles simulating alcohol or other impairment. Obstacle courses are supervised by Mecklenburg County ABC Officers and cart drivers.
Day 3: Classroom presentation addressing prevention and treatment by Anuvia counseling specialists.
MECKLENBURG COUNTY ALCOHOL BEVERAGE CONTROL
ABC Law Enforcement Division
3333 North Tryon Street
Charlotte, North Carolina 28206
Officer Kemp England 704-621-1908
Officer Sheila Giles 704-400-3297
Officer Howard Phillips 704-309-8131
Anuvia Adolescent Center
5855 Executive Center Drive
Charlotte, North Carolina 28212 704-376-7447