CVHS WEEKLY e-BULLETIN
For the Week of SEPTEMBER 13-17, 2021
HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTH
MONDAY, 09/13. . . . . . . . PERIODS 1,3,5,7
TUESDAY, 09/14. . . . . . . . PERIODS 2,4,6,7 - CLUB EXPO BEGINS 9/14 - 9/17 - Quad
Girls Volleyball vs. Hoover HS @ Hoover 3:30 pm
. . . . . . . . . . JV 5:00 pm
Girls Tennis vs. Burroughs HS @ Burroughs 3:30 pm
. . . . . . . . . . JV 3:30 pm @ CVHS
Girls Golf League #3 JBHS Host @ DeBell 1:30 pm
WEDNESDAY, 09/15 . . . . . PERIODS 1-7 - Banking Day
Varsity Water Polo vs. Crespi HS @ Crespi 3:15 pm
. . . . . . . . . . JV 4:15pm
Dine-Out Fundraiser - Kooby's Kabob & Grill - Support CVIM
THURSDAY, 09/16 . . . . . . .PERIODS 1,3,5,7
Girls Tennis vs. Burbank HS @ CVHS 3:30 pm
. . . . . . . . . . JV 3:30 pm @ Burbank
Girls Volleyball vs. Arcadia HS @ Arcadia 4:45 pm
. . . . . . . . . . JV 3:30 pm . . . .F/S 3:30 pm
Varsity Water Polo vs. St. Francis HS @ CVHS 3:30 pm
Dine-Out Fundraiser - Blaze Pizza, La Canada - Support Girls Lacrosse
FRIDAY, 09/17. . . . . . . . . . PERIODS 2,4,6,7
Varsity Football vs. Calabasas HS @ Calabasas 7:00 pm
. . . . . . . . . . JV 4:00 pm
SATURDAY 09/18 . . . . . . . Girls Volleyball - CV JV Tournament @CVHS 8:00 am
. . . . . . . . . . F/S 8:00 am
Varsity Cross Country - Woodbridge Invite - SLSC, Norco TBA
PLEASE PICK UP YOUR PRE-ORDERED 2021 TALON YEARBOOK TODAY!
PURCHASES STILL AVAILABLE TOO!!
***If you are a GRADUATED/FORMER CV STUDENT, please see Laurie Jones in the AP’s Office to pick up your pre-ordered yearbook. Please have your student ID with you or some form of identification. Parents/guardians may also pick up your yearbook for you. *If none of the above is feasible, please email email@example.com
***If you are a CURRENT CV STUDENT, please see Tyraysha Souza in RM. 5101, during SNACK ONLY (Do not get frustrated if Mrs. Souza is not there - keep trying on different days. You were sent multiple slips and given ample opportunity to retrieve your yearbook). Please have your student ID with you.
***FOR YEARBOOK PURCHASES, please see Amy Seyfi in the student store. $110 cash only. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
CONGRATULATIONS.. to Miranda Kowalkski, Jesse Guzik, and Crystal Smith. Each won a $10 Starbucks gift card from the 5 Star - No Tardy Raffle, for Aug 23 - Sept. 3. All CV students with no tardies and no lates every two weeks will earn 10 points and be entered into a raffle. Next No Tardy Raffle will be Sept. 17. Special Thanks to the Korean Parents Association for donating the gift cards.
DINE-OUT AND SUPPORT CVIM AT KOOBY'S KABOB & GRILL - Support CV's Instrumental Music Department and dine at Kooby's Kabob & Grill on Wednesday, September 15 anytime between 2-8:00 pm, and proceeds will benefit CV's esteemed music department. Kooby's is a Falcon Family-owned business! They are located at 2901 Honolulu Avenue! Check out their website www.koobys.com Don't forget to mention CVIM upon ordering. As always, thank you for helping us continue CV's long history of music excellence. Happy Dining Falcon Families!
DINE-OUT AND SUPPORT GIRLS LACROSSE: Come grab pizza and support the CV Girls Lacrosse team on Thursday, September 16, 2021, from 5:00 – 8:00 pm, at Blaze Pizza, La Canada! Show a digital copy of the flyer at checkout, or place your order online and use the promo code 1005A. Thank you for your support! BLAZE
LOOKING FOR A TASTY TREAT? or refreshing bottled water? Stop by the Student Store and snack and lunch and check out what we have to offer. Tell them Mrs. Beers sent you.
THE CV CARNIVAL IS COMING! It's official - just 10 days left to buy your CV Back to School Carnival ticket. Come enjoy the lights and attractions, games and booths, music and dancing. The CV Quad will transform Friday, Sept. 24 from 6 - 10pm. Tickets are on sale in the Student Store, $25 with an ASB card, and $30 without. Tickets are included in the Senior Spirit Package. Masks are required, and attendees will need to show proof of vaccination or proof of a negative test within the 72 hours prior to the event. See Mrs. Beers in room 1101 with questions.
JOIN PTSA 2021-2022! Welcome Falcon families and amazing students!! Signing up for PTSA is easier than ever! Click the link below. It is only $10 to become a member and donations can also be accepted. Seniors can apply for a scholarship if they are a member. https://jointotem.com/ca/la-crescenta/crescenta-valley-high-ptsa
CVHS SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL: CVHS School Site Council will hold its first meeting of the 21-22 school year on September 14, 2021, at 3:45 pm, via Zoom.
- Training on purpose and function of SSC
- School Plan for Student Achievement and Supplemental Budget
- Planning for officer elections
- Future meeting dates and topics
ATTENTION ALL JUNIORS AND SENIORS: If you have a cumulative weighted GPA of 3.5 or higher, you are eligible to apply for the CVHS National Honor Society. If interested, check out the CVHS NHS Website, or join the New Applicants Google Classroom, GC code 274bmvz. NOTE: You must use your student email!
JROTC LEADERSHIP Classes: Did you know that JROTC Leadership is a Physical Education or General Education elective? Free class/program. Make lasting friendships, improve yourself and have fun. See your counselor for a schedule change!
Have you been hearing the buzz about this class? Come check us out in room 8103 during break or lunch. Get involved in activities, community service, and build your resume for college! See your counselor! JROTC is a Physical Education or General Education elective. Building community/connections, learning about leadership, making rockets, and play/training on pilot aircraft simulators. AFJROTC is about building you and your future; a Physical Education or General Elective. See your counselor for class availability.
JOIN KOREAN PARENTS ASSOCIATION (KPA) 2021-22: Korean Parents, join today and be part of KPA! Show that you care about your kids. Joining KPA is the 1st step to stay involved and the best way to know what is going on with the school for Korean Parents. See flyer for more detail. Here is the link to the membership application: https://forms.gle/sRqG6nA82zJ9KuZB7
HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTH: This year's theme - Hispanics: Be Proud of Your Past, Embrace the Future - invites Hispanics to embrace their backgrounds , to be proud of who they are and where they came from. The idea for Hispanic Heritage Month, celebrated throughout the latter half of September and the first half of October, began as a way to promote the history, culture, and contributions of Hispanic-Americans — specifically, those whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America. Communities mark the achievements of Hispanic and Latino Americans with festivals and educational activities. Upcoming Events . . . . 2nd Annual Speaker Series
CV LETTER JACKETS: The letter jacket representative will be on campus at snack and lunch on Wednesday, September 15 and Thursday, September 16 to take orders. Students who would like to place an order: You will need a $150 deposit (checks payable to Josten's), and please bring all patches and letters with you. See Mrs. Beers with questions.
WANT TO BECOME A LIFEGUARD: Los Angeles City, Dep. of Rec. & Parks, Citywide Aquatics will be hosting a Lifeguard test on SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 2021, at the John C. Argue Swim Stadium/Expo Center, located at John C. Argue Swim Stadium/Expo Center, 3980 Bill Robertson Lane, Los Angeles, CA 90037. The Lifeguard test includes:
70 foot dummy tow, to be completed in under 1 minute, 18 seconds, AND
200 yard medley swim (breaststroke, backstroke, sidestroke, and crawl stroke, in that order),
to be completed in under 3 minutes, 52 seconds.
REGISTER TO VOTE: Make your voice heard on important issues that affect the future of our state and nation by registering to vote today. If you are 18 or older you can register right away. 16- and 17-year olds can pre-register to vote. Your registration will automatically become active once you turn 18. Visit registertovote.ca.gov for information on how to register (18-year-olds) or pre-register to vote (16-17-year-olds), find your polling place, and learn what to expect on election days.
SENIORS! Welcome to your final year at CV. As the year begins, I'm sure many of you are excited and nervous about what's next. There are probably tons of questions that you may have and the counseling team would like to help address some of those questions. Each counselor will be hosting a "Senior Year and Beyond" Information night for seniors. The session is meant for students, but parents are welcome to come. Please make sure that you join your counselor's Google classroom as information and links will be provided there. We all look forward to meeting you!
Senior Spirit Packs - the last day to purchase your Class of 2022 Senior Spirit Pack is Wednesday, Sept. 15. On sale in the student store during snack and lunch. $385 includes an ASB card, Senior Spirit Shirt, an exclusive Mystery Item, Yearbook, Grad Night and Prom Tickets, and a ticket to the Back to School Carnival on Sept. 24. You save more than $80. Don't miss out.
SENIORS: Stay up-to-date with all things Senior-related. Use your GUSD google account to join the "Seniors - Class of 2022" Google Classroom - code qqvw53b. Important information and reminders will be posted here throughout the year. Contact Mrs. Beers or Senior President Yvalisse Ganzon with questions.
CLUB EXPO IS COMING: September 14 – 17, in the Quad at snack and lunch. Clubs wishing to participate, please submit your club application or renew form to ASB in room 1101/1102 before Sept. 9, and be sure to sign-up using the link on the Clubs page on the CV website. Club leaders should plan to attend a brief lunch meeting on Friday, Sept. 10. Contact Zach Roh, Director of Clubs or Mrs. Beers in room 1102.
DO YOU LOVE TO SKI/SNOWBOARD: Hello Falcons - it's hot now, but what better way to cool down than to join the Ski/Snowboard Club? See Mrs. Beers in room 1102 if you are interested in joining.
GUSD COLLEGE & CAREER DIVISION NEWSLETTER/WEBSITE: The Glendale Unified School District College and Career Division website (https://www.gusd.net/collegecareer) will publish newsletters and maintain information about college rep visits, and UC, CSU, Common App application workshops. Please continue to check the website for registration links, updates, and upcoming events. The Newsletter is available at this link: https://www.smore.com/puzq8. The Newsletter will provide links to a variety of events ranging from college rep visits, Financial Aid nights, Career exploration and other resources.
If you are interested in meeting a rep from any college/university, please check the following link to see the College & Career Division calendar. From there you should be able to sign/join the virtual meetings arranged by them. The following listed meetings are already arranged: www.gusd.net/collegecareercalendar
- Washington University Monday, September 13, 4 p.m.
- Mount Saint Mary's University, Los Angeles Tuesday, September 14, 4 p.m.
- Willamette University Tuesday, September 14, 5 p.m.
- University of Southern California Wednesday, September 15, 4 p.m.
- University of Redlands, Thursday September 16, 4 p.m.
- Seton Hall University, Thursday September 16, 5 p.m.
- University of Iowa, Monday September 20, 4 p.m.
- United States Air Force Academy Tuesday, September 21, 4 p.m.
- Fashion Institute of Design and Wednesday, September 22, 4 p.m.
- University of California, Irvine Monday, September 27, 4 p.m.
- University of Miami Monday, September 27, 5 p.m.
COMMUNITY SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES
Students, remember all community service should be submitted through our Community Service website. All the information you will need is there. No more forms, no more lost paperwork! From the CVHS home page, find the Students Tab at the top. Next from the drop-down menu, click on Community Service. At the bottom of the page, click on Click here to fill out the Community Service Form. Here is the link to the page. https://www.gusd.net/domain/1295. Questions, concerns, email me, Mrs. Gay, at email@example.com.
There are two scholarships with EARLY DEADLINES coming due. If interested,
please check them out below
The Gates Scholarship – apply online at https://www.thegatesscholarship.org/scholarship
Phase 1 of the application process closes on Sept. 15, 2021.
The Gates Scholarship (TGS) is a highly selective scholarship for outstanding, minority, high school seniors from low-income households. Scholars will receive funding for the full cost of attendance (which includes tuition, fees, room, board, books & transportation). To apply, students must be:
· A high school senior
· From at least one of the following ethnicities: African-American, American Indian/Alaska Native*, Asian & Pacific Islander American, and/or Hispanic American
· A US citizen, national, or permanent resident
· In good academic standing with a min. cum. weighted GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent)
· Plans to enroll full-time, in a four-year degree program, at a US accredited, not-for-profit, private or public college or university.
· Have an outstanding academic record in high school (in the top 10% of his/her graduating class)
· Demonstrated leadership ability (e.g., as shown through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities)
· Possess exceptional personal success skills(e.g. emotional maturity, motivation, perseverance, etc.)
Elks National Foundation – offering two awards – check out their website – enf.elks.org/MVS
(1)Most Valuable Student Contest - Eligibility:
- Current high school seniors, or the equivalent, who are citizens of the U.S are eligible to apply. (Applicants must be citizens of the U.S on the date their applications are submitted; permanent legal resident status does not qualify)
- Male and female students compete separately
- Applicants do not need to be related to a member of the Elks
- The Elks National Foundation will award 500 four-year scholarships ranging from $1,000 per year to $12,500 per year, Most Valuable Student scholarships are for students pursuing a four-year degree, on a full-time basis (min. of 12 semester hours), in a U.S. college or university. All scholarships are in the form of certificates of award conditional upon the full-time enrollment of the winner in an accredited U.S. college or university.
- The 2022 application deadline is November 15, 2021 at 11:59 p.m., Pacific Time
(2)Elks National Foundation Legacy Awards – apply online at enf.elks.org/Leg
- Legacy Awards are $4,000 scholarships available to children and grandchildren of Elks members. The Elk must also be a paid-up member through March 31, 2022. Great-grandchildren are not eligible. (If the applicant's parent and grandparent are both Elk members, the applicant must apply through the parent's Elks Lodge.
- The applicant must be a high school senior
- We have waived the standardized test requirement. You do not need to submit ACT and/or SAT scores.
- Students may apply for more than one ENF scholarship; however, they may win only one. In cases where the student wins more than one, we will award the scholarship with the greater value. Students can accept local and state scholarships, which are separate from the awards at the national level.
2021-2022 CVHS KPA Scholarship: accepting applications 9/20/21 through 10/22/21.
Criteria: must be a senior at CVHS; Korean descent; parent is a current member of KPA; demonstrate financial need; and minimum unweighted GPA 3.0 and above.
Use this link https://forms.gle/knenxyvCW5JwZn5q9 to complete the scholarship form. In addition, submit an essay or self-introduction stating who you are, and a copy of your transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org APPLICATION DEADLINE: MIDNIGHT, October 22, 2021