Justin Vochatzer Hr.7
What are the 3 D's of abnormal psychology?
- Deviant- Is departing from usual or accepted standards, especially in social or sexual behavior.
- Dysfunctional- Not operating normally or properly, regarded as bad.
- Distress- Unpleasant feelings or emotions that impact the level of functioning.
What is the DSM?
- DSM stands for the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, DSM is what professionals and physicians use to diagnose mental disorders in the United States.
- DSM was first published in 1952, but the most recent edition was the fifth edition published in May of 2013.
What are the most important changes from DSM IV to DSM V?
- DSM V has an increase of about 10 percent new diagnostic categories
- The most important change to DSM V is that the edition dropped the multi-axial diagnosis system.
- Change in cultural concepts
- Integrated assessments
- Mixed features specifier
Who is David Rosenhans?
- November 22,1929- February 6,2012
- Was an American psychologist
- Best known for the Rosenhan experiment, a study challenging the validity of psychiatry diagnoses.
- Was the first in the application of psychological methods to practice of trial law process.
- His experiment focussed on insanity and raised being sane in insane places
- His study is considered an important and influential criticism of ppsychchiatric diagnosis.
- The conclusion of his study was that we can not determine sane from insane in psychiatric hospitals.
Howie Mandel (OCD)
- As long as Howie can remember, he has disliked germs and it caused him to get bullied in school when he was younger along with having ADHD.
- Howie was different in the fact that his humor in which he thought was funny, others did not like and his pranks led to him getting expelled from high school and not graduating.
- It has affected his life by him being different as mentioned before and odd things throughout his daily life like wearing shoes that have no laces, shaving his head to be bald, and hosting his game show, always giving "knuckles" instead of shaking hands.
- Howie goes to a therapist to help with his disorder and takes anxiety medication to control the OCD and ADHD.
- OCD- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is when people have obsessive thoughts in which leads them to repetitive behaviors or compulsions.
- Films: Cat People, The Collector, The Aviator, Run and Jump, and Matchstick Man
- Books: Every Last Word, Passing For Normal, Ball Don't Lie, and Multiple Choice
- Well Known People: Howie Mandel, Billy Bob Thornton, Jessica Alba, Donald Trump, Cameron Diaz, and Leonardo DiCaprio
The infographic that I created above was to go through the main points behind psychological disorders and how what they really are. I broke down the 3 D's of Abnormal Psychology and shared the DSM which is the base for diagnosing people with different disorders. The infographic explains who really was behind the start of studies which was David Rosehan, and talked about his famous study. Finally, I took a look at an individual disorder which is OCD and identified a famous person who has dealt with OCD his whole life and how the disorder has affected him. Lastly, I listed other famous people who have the same disorder and how the disorder I picked is common.