Transition Planning Meeting for Kim
Information for Kim and her family
The Big Move From Preschool to Kindergarten
Purpose of the Meeting
- get to know her a little better before she begins school.
- learn about her strengths, interests, and needs so we can prepare for a smooth transition from preschool into kindergarten.
- clearly understand her physical, social/emotional and learning needs to ensure we are prepared with the necessary supports and are using the strategies that best work for her.
- ensure she has the best start possible into Kindergarten.
The Team Who May Be Involved with Kim's Transition Planning
- Kim and her Family (Parents/Guardians)
- Classroom Teacher, Designated Early Childhood Educator (DECE)
- Occupational and/or Physiotherapist
- Speech and Language Pathologist
- Other possible people (from the Board or community) who may work with, or be involved with Kim in some capacity
What You Might Expect to Happen at the Meeting (The Process)
- discuss or consider the development of an IEP or Safety Plan
- arrange a visit to Kim's current setting (day-care, home, etc)
- arrange a date(s) for Kim to visit the classroom/school and meet her teacher and other staff who might be working with her
- prepare visuals to assist with the transition, eg. a school photo book or video, map of the school
- talk about the classroom/school's learning materials, resources and space
- discuss special transportation if it is necessary, and other mobility issues that need to be considered
- arrange for peer supports and student awareness activities
- provide readings or teacher information sessions to assist teachers with understanding Kim's needs
Roles and Responsibilities of Parents and Educators
- help Kim understand what to expect in Kindergarten (especially on the first day)
- share strategies that you know work for her at home or in her daycare
- support Kim in the process
- ask questions of the school and staff
As educators...we will be responsible for:
- observing and documenting Kim's strengths, challenges, interests and learning style in order to appropriately assess her accomplishments and determine her next steps
- work together as a team to set goal and expectations to work towards
- maintain the information on the iEP
How Does This Transition Plan Help Kim in her Future?
A great start to school, sets the foundation for success! Let's work together to ensure Kim is set up for success!!
Creating Pathways to Successhttp://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/document/policy/cps/CreatingPathwaysSuccess.pdf
Supporting Transitions for Students with Special Education
Eductors Support Guide for Transitions