FAC Weekly Update
December 6, 2019
Good afternoon, Fine Arts Center Family
I hope you had a terrific week!
Here is the latest from the halls of the Fine Arts Center...
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
- Arnold H. Glagow
Congratulations to our YoungArts Winners!
- Congratulations to Merit Award Winner Pen Zuleger, whose novel was selected for recognition in the Writing category.
- Congratulations to National Finalist Nicholas Turgeon, who has been selected as a Visual Arts winner.
Pen and Nick join 686 of the nation’s most accomplished artists in the visual, literary and performing arts. They were selected by an esteemed discipline-specific panel of artists through a rigorous blind adjudication process. This year’s award winners represent the top 9.5% of applications across ten artistic disciplines. YoungArts award winners gain access to one of the most prestigious programs for emerging artists in the United States in which they will have opportunities for creative and professional development throughout their entire careers.
As a Finalist, Nick will have the opportunity to participate in National YoungArts Week (January 5–12, 2020), the organization’s signature program providing artists with an intensive, weeklong and all-inclusive program featuring masterclasses, workshops and mentorship from leading artists in their fields. He will be eligible to be nominated to become a U.S. Presidential Scholar in the Arts, one of the highest honors given to high school seniors bestowed by the President of the United States.
The Fine Arts Center is so proud of Pen and Nick, and grateful to their teachers for preparing them to receive this honor!
More Student Kudos!
- Violist Philip Rawlinson (Grade 11) was awarded first prize last week at the Carolina Youth Symphony Concerto Competition! Phillip will be soloing with the orchestra later this spring.
- Will Rawlinson (Cello, Grade 11), Philip Rawlinson, and Abigail Byrd (Cello, Grade 12), won the Greenville County Youth Orchestra Concerto competition this past fall and will be soloing with the GCYO later this spring. We will let you know when the performances are scheduled as soon as we receive information for the CYS and GCYO.
- Gracie-Kate Beckham (Visual Arts, Grade 11) was accepted into the prestigious Summer Institute at the Art Institute of Chicago! Please click on the following link to learn more about this amazing opportunity - https://www.saic.edu/continuing-studies/high-school/summer/overview. We are so proud of Gracie-Kate, and look forward to her representing the FAC and Greenville this coming summer!
Event Ticketing - we need your help
Don't Miss the FAC Visual Arts Holiday Sale!
REMINDER - APPLICATIONS for the 2020-21 SCHOOL YEAR
All FAC Students must apply yearly for admission to the Fine Arts Center. The application for the 2020-2021 School Year is available on our website - http://www.fineartscenter.net. The application closes on December 20, so please be sure to handle this task ASAP. Kindly note that there are some open-ended questions on the application that our returning students need to complete. We expect our students to reflect on the questions and respond thoughtfully.
Support Our FAC Students as they Perform in the Community!
- A Charlie Brown Christmas - presented by the SC Children's Theatre (11/29-12/8) - https://scchildrenstheatre.org/shop/a-charlie-brown-christmas/
- Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol at the Logos Theater (12/6-12/21) - https://ci.ovationtix.com/35062/production/1006503
- The Nutcracker, presented by the Greenville Ballet - Saturday, December 14, 3:00 p.m. at Furman University’s McAlister Auditorium. Guest artists from the Dance Theatre of Harlem. Tickets through Ticketmaster or Furman University’s Timmons Arena Box Office.
Did we miss anything that features our students? Please email Mr. Popat with information.
Performances Next Week at the FAC!
Finish off the week with our amazing FAC Dance Studio - Winter Dance Offerings. See below for details.
Did you know that you can help support the Fine Arts Center when you shop on Amazon.com? Here's how...
- Go to https://smile.amazon.com - You may need to log into your Amazon account at some point in this process
- A popup box appears to select a charity.
- Type in “Fine Arts Center Partners” in the search box, click enter.
- Click on the select box next to “Fine Arts Center Partners” in the list of search results.
- Click on the checkbox that says “Yes, I understand that I must always start at smile.amazon.com to support Fine Arts Center Partners.”
Want to help raise funds for the Fine Arts Center? Simply shop at Publix! Click on the following link for directions and information - https://corporate.publix.com/community/corporate-campaigns/publix-partners.
Friday Studio Access
Studio access will end on Fridays at 4:30 p.m. This applies to all Fridays. Please be sure that you have wrapped up your activities by that time and have arranged for prompt transportation.
Please spread the word to your Greenville friends and family about our concerts, events, and performances!
- December 9: Theatre Presentations - 7:00 p.m., Black Box Theatre
- December 12: Callisto String Quartet - 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall
- December 13: Winter Dance Offerings - 7:00 p.m., Black Box Theatre
- December 20: Student Showcase Performances - School Day
- December 23-January 3: Winter Break