Dear Parent/ Caregiver
Every year, millions of kids die from poisoning. Statistics say, 838 children ages 19 and under died from poisoning in 2010. Poisoning is the second leading of injury-related death. The leading causes of non-medication exposure calls to poison control centers for children ages 5 and under were cosmetics and personal care products, household cleaning substances, foreign bodies/toys, pesticides, and plants. There are many ways to prevent kids from getting poisoning. Here are some ways to do so.
- Never tell a child that medicine tastes like candy.
- Do not rely on packaging to protect your children. child-resistant packaging does not mean childproof packaging.
- Store all medications- no matter what type out- of sight or reach.
- Always keep pills and liquids in their original containers.
- Never put cleaning products in old soda bottles or containers that were once used for food.
- Use safety latches for all cabinets containing hazardous substances
- Keep bottles of alcohol locked in a cabinet far away from kids' reach