Helix CTE EDGE Newsletter
Over the next month or so students will need to start making decisions about the courses they want to request. Did you know Helix determines the elective and pathway classes they run the next year based off of student requests? So make sure you have plan because it might be too late to request a class in May or August when you return back to school. If you need help picking your pathway classes, click our pathway flyers below.
Equity in Computer Science
A new report from Computer Science for California (CSforCA) coalition and Kapor Center that analyzes K-12 computer science education in California, revealing significant disparities by race/ethnicity, gender, socioeconomic status, and geography of California students who have access to, enroll in and succeed in computer science courses. Such findings include:
- Just 3% of California’s 1.9 million high school students took a computer science course in 2017.
- Low-income schools are four times less likely to offer Advanced Placement (AP) computer science courses.
- Female students comprise 50% of California’s high school population, but just 29% of students taking introductory CS courses.
- 60 percent of California’s high schoolers are Black, Latinx, and Native American/Alaskan Native students, but they comprise just 16 percent of students taking the AP Computer Science A exam—and shockingly, Black students comprise just 1 percent.
- There are significant disparities for Black and Latinx students in rates of passage of Advanced Placement (AP) computer science exams.
EDUCATION PATHWAY NEWS
Equity in Education Conference 2020
Speaker: David Espinoza, Encuentros Program, explaining the Encuentros Teachers Academy for Latinx males interested in pursuing a career in the field of Edcuation.
Mr. Tony Mora Encuentros Board member who founded the Encuentros summer academy programs over 15 years ago.
SPORTS MEDICINE NEWS
Look at What Sports Med Students have achieved...
Our Advanced Sports Medicine Class is gearing up to compete against 13 other local high school Sports Medicine Students in the San Diego Sports Medicine Student Quiz Bowl on Feb 1st, at SDSU
ENGINEERING PATHWAY NEWS
Advanced Engineering/Architecture CAD 3/4
THANK YOU GOODWIN FAMILY TRUST
Thank you! Thank you! Thank You!
CAD 3/4 Students Working on Getting Industry Certified
Got a computer at home? You can download free Autodesk Software and contact the EDGE department at email@example.com and Helix will help set up a course for you to teach yourself. Several students have already signed up.