Taliban and What They Are

Taliban in Afghanistan controlling the state

Rise To Power

The Taliban have ruled Afghanistan since 1996 to 2001. They originally came into power during Afghanistan's civil war and managed to hold 90% of the territory, policies, and the treatment of women.


The Taliban are known as the mujahideen or "holy warriors". They formed during the war when Soviets were occupying Afghanistan from 1979 to 1989. After the Soviets backed away, Kabul was captured and the mujahideen established a new form of government. They also put Burhanuddin Rabbani as an interim president. Since the factions around Afghanistan were unable to cooperate with each other, Afghanistan reduced to many territories with competitive warlords.

What Is Taliban

Taliban actually means "religious students". They were an loosely organized group and didn't become a united force until 1994. In September 1996, they took over Kabul and Kandahar.


The Taliban weren't extremist at first. They got rid of the corruption, restored peace, and allowed commerce to resume. Then the Taliban became under the rule of Mullah Muhammad Omar and brought strict Islamic laws, or Sharia. Public executions and punishments were the norm at the Afghan soccer games. Activities such as kite-flying, television, internet, and music were considered a "non-Islamic" influence and were banned. If men did not wear beards like they are required to, they will be beaten.

The Taliban and Women

When Talibs took over Kabul, they immediately forbade girls to attend schools. They also banned women from working outside their home. Women were also forbidden to go alone anywhere without a male companion. Those that break these laws are either beaten or shot.


Every women has to wear a burka, a outer garment that is used for the purpose to hide their bodies and faces except for the eyes and is worn when a women has to be in public. Burkas are worn throughout the Middle Eastern countries and most countries that follow Islamic culture.

The Religious Split

90% of Afghanistan's population are Sunni's, the other 10% are Shiites.


One difference between the two branches are that Sunni's believes the 4 caliphs(Mohammed's successors) took his place after he died. Another difference would have to do with Mahdi, "the rightly-guided one", whose role was to bring a global caliphate. Shiites believe he has already been here and will return while the Sunni's believe that he hasn't been here at all in history.