The Rustler Express
Will James Middle School
From the Counselor's Office
If you have anyone in mind, please share the info below. Thank you!
Do you have 30 minutes to spare? Do you have a life skill that you would love to share with students? If so, we are implementing short "adulting" lessons once a week during WIN.
Each Thursday from 1:41-2:11 pm, we will host different life skills lessons such as:
1. Home: how to load a dishwasher, wrapping a present, using a tape measure, how a circuit breaker works, kitchen fire safety, basic plumbing, setting the table, how to plant grass seed/garden
2. Finance: reading a pay stub, how to budget, how to write a check
3. Communication: how to send an email, phone call etiquette, how to mail a letter
4. Job: how to tie a tie, how to iron a dress shirt, study skills, how to look for 1st job, job interview tips, how to write a resume, how to fill out a job application
5. Vehicle: how to pump gas, how to change a tire, how to jump start a car, how to check air pressure, how to check the oil
6. Personal Health/Wellness: how to read a nutrition label, CPR, First Aid, how to do laundry
If you would like to come in and present or demonstrate any of the above skills (or others not listed), please contact Nichole Hamnes at 281-6154 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We have short videos planned for each of the skills to also be used if desired. We would also appreciate any materials you would like to donate to help students practice skills (wrapping paper, old ties, envelopes, etc.). Thank you!
Take a Look at the Upcoming Weeks:
- Monday, November 22nd, from 1-3pm
- Wednesday November 24th through 26th- Enjoy the Break!
Girls Basketball A Team:
- November 22nd AWAY vs. Lewis and Clark @ 5:45
- November 22nd AWAY vs. Lewis and Clark @ 4:30
- Grades 6-8 HOME beginning at 4:30
- December 6th- Orchestra Concert: 7:00-8:30 pm
- December 7th- Band Concert: 7:00-8:30 pm
- December 9th- Choir Concert: 7:00-8:30 pm
Boys Basketball Sign ups and Tryouts:
- Begin Monday, December 6th
Upcoming MAP Testing Dates:
Our Winter MAP Testing window is quickly approaching. Grades 6 and 7 only will take the MAP test for our winter session. Math classes will test from November 29th through December 1st while students will complete the reading tests from December 8th through December 10th. Please review the following tactics students can do to help prepare for the assessments:
- Get plenty of rest the night before.
- Eat a nutritious breakfast before the test. Avoid high sugar foods.
- Wear comfortable clothes.
- Be on time for your session. You will feel more relaxed if you’re not rushed, so wake up a few minutes early.
- Relax. You’ll do better if you don’t worry. Try to remember that the results of tests help your teachers plan for your education. It’s your time to “show what you know.”
- If you are “stressed out” about your test, here are four stress-busting strategies:
Slow down and relax;
Take slow, deep breaths;
Close your eyes and think positive thoughts; and
Take a moment to prepare for the test. Be sure you have sharp pencils, a good eraser, and blank scratch paper.
Will James Middle School
Will Neuman~ Associate Principal