LISD Special Education
Staff Newsletter December 2015
Christmas holidays are almost here! I love visiting each campus and seeing the cheerful decorations and happy activities that make this season so special. All of you do a fantastic job of creating learning that is fun. For some of our students, school will be the most festive and joyful celebration they have for Christmas, and I am thankful that you are able to be a part of that.
- Our Wings of Eagles parents are planning a Christmas party Saturday, December 12, from 4-6 PM. They want to be sure that each child that attends receives a Christmas present. They need donations of playdough, colors, bubbles, coloring books, Christmas candy, board games, and books. We have a box at Special Programs for donated items, or you can give these donations to special programs staff on your campus, and they will bring them here. They also need volunteers to assist students, serve the meal, decorate, set up and clean up. If you or a student group would like to volunteer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thank you so much to everyone who participated in our Wings of Eagles Fall Festival! It was a special day for many of our children and their families. We had a large outpouring of staff, students, and community support. This is what makes Lindale such and caring and compassionate community, and many parents have expressed how meaningful this event was to them and their families.
- The November spotlight at the board meeting was special education. The theme of our presentation was "What is Special about Special Education?" A big thank you to Stephanie Richard, Kim Saunders, Derrick Rogers, Megan Stanley, Ashleigh Brashear, June Wright, Alicia Winkler, and Beverly and Dan Somes for presenting. I am so proud of you and the work you do everyday with our students! See below for the video we showed at the end of the presentation.
- We will have a brief special education staff meeting on January 14 at 3:30 - 4:30. Among other things, we will be discussing upcoming staff development. Please be sure and let me know if you are unable to attend.
- Teachers, please click IEP ANNUAL GOAL DEVELOPMENT below to access the updated version of this document that provides important guidance on developing standards-based goals. It is important to read and understand this updated information especially as we are moving into ARD season.
- I wish you all a blessed and Merry Christmas!
Wings of Eagles Christmas Party
Saturday, Dec. 12th 2015 at 4-6pm
15567 Wood Springs Road
Wings of Eagles and Joy Ministries are hosting a Christmas Party for our students with special needs and their families. If you would like to volunteer, or sponsor a student group who would be willing to volunteer, please email email@example.com.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
What is Special about Special Education in LISD?
Special Education Staff Meeting
Thursday, Jan. 14th, 3:30-4:30pm
HS Lecture room
All special education staff are required to attend this meeting.