The Echo Memo: Dec. 14, 2015
A weekly memo to the Smith staff from your leadership team.
Bright Spots from the Week....
The month of December brings beautiful bright spots at Smith!
VIEW PHOTOS - of this past week's Bright Spots!
- November's Staff Member of the Month was announced: Congratulations Wanda Smith!
- New laptops were launched!
- Movie Night was a fun family event with over 100 participants!
- Winter Concert by 3rd-6th grade got everyone in the Christmas spirit!
- RtI meetings give us insights on how to support our students in need.
- Bullying is not an option was the message for 3rd grade assembly.
ADD Your Photos and "Like" them or add comments if you wish! :)
Download the app: Cluster and use this link to join the Smith Group: https://cluster.co/i/R2PFA4
Partner Offering to Benefit Smith
This Week's Highlights
WEEK 16 - 103 Days Remaining for Students to Achieve One Year Growth
Coat Drive - 12/18
GOAL MEETINGS continue with Principal Echols - See Schedule
Page completed - https://goo.gl/uJKiq5
THANK YOU MS. LITTLEJOHN for the Secret Santa and Winter Spirit ideas this week!
- Secret Santa Gaming Goings On - Jeans All Week!
- Mon. 12/14 Muffins in the Bistro! Flannel Frenzy
- Mon. 12/14 - Campus Leadership Team Mtg. to finalize plans for Jan. 4th
- Tues. 12/15 - Peppermints and Treats: Wear holiday warmness
- Tues 12/15 - Approaching Deadline, DRA Due Friday!
- Tues 12/15 - Fire Drill, 1:30
- Tues 12/15 - Ms. Cook's Retirement Reception, Library 4:00pm
- Wed. 12/16 - Hot Chocolate Bard: Wear camouflage to support out troops
- Wed. 12/16 - Tech Thursday: Forethought Training w/ Ms. Padgett
- Wed. 12/16 - GUESTS ON CAMPUS: Guest Principal Learning Walks
- Wed. 12/16 - Campus Data Team Meeting, 11:45 - 12:45, Green Room
- Wed. 12/16 - Love and Logic Book Club, Green Room
- Thurs. 12/17 - Cookies and Tacky Sweater day
- Friday 12/18 - Early Breakfast Buffet,, 7am start; Polar Express PJ day
- Friday 12/18 - Holiday Sing a Long, 2pm, Gym, Whole School
- Friday 12/18 - Classroom Parties 2:30 - 3:30
- Saturday 12/19 - Trinity Candlelight Gathering, 5pm on the church lawn
- Monday 12/21 - Faculty Holiday Gathering for lunch - 12 noon Pappadeaux (Duncanville) 12:00 PM, Guests welcome
$10.00 white elephant gift (participation is optional)
- MUST DO - Lesson Plans due by Sunday. GOAL 2-weeks ahead, starting January. Get ahead now for the new year. New lesson plan template coming in January.
- Must see written frames in student language - on your white board each day.
WINTER BREAK: DEC. 21 - JAN 1
Professional Dev. Day - JAN 4th (more info coming)
This week (IF THE SPEAKER IF FIXED) is Mr. BREY's class of 1st grade students
Select students for the week by MONDAY and have ready to roll.
Post their names in your room as a reminder.
Students will need to be in the office at 8:00am, ready to lead.
Last week's survey from the Movenote included some very interesting responses and you each had some great feedback for our team to consider. Use this link to read the responses from last week's Movenote... and let's do this! https://goo.gl/AeXJvg
I noticed some great calls to action in several responses - take a look at these:
L. Padgett "I would like teachers to know that I am resource to help them. I know how to unpack the standards and read data. I would like to meet with them more to help them get through this very critical step."
B. Griggs: "I will 1.) Talk to teachers to get ideas on how to boost achievement, and 2.) Use several types of data to drive instruction."
L. Lawson: "We will also be doing more small group activities and have more time to pull our at-promise students. I'm eager to see the next unit assessment scores."
D. Hill: " I want to help my team look at data for specific TEKS to "hone-in on" and create a plan for implementation. (include student input). I also want to look at vocabulary to use daily in our "content" discussions and make certain to use specific question stems in these same daily discussions.I think Movenote might be useful to use for reteach and at stations."
C. Wilson: "I think talking to other campus is essential. I have 3 other campuses that I am in contact with because we are able to discuss best ways to teach a concept and share resources that have worked well."
Congratulations WANDA SMITH
November's Staff Member of the Month
Service is the new Virtue for Knighthood!
55 Ways to Fill A Bucket: Service
Song to Learn and Sing During the Month of December - https://youtu.be/WaddbqEQ1NE
Visible Learning - Let’s Fill the Halls with Drawings and Essays about Service
Service-learning is a proven civic education practice that extends learning into the community and builds a strong sense of agency among young people. Service-learning is a teaching strategy that connects classroom curriculum with service projects. Service-learning engages students in projects that serve the community while building social, civic, and academic skills.
Add more photos from the service you see from our students.
Growing Great Readers - Let's Nurture the Leaves! DRA scores are due soon.
Subscribe for Instant Notification
This is the weekly Echo Memo through email. It is a way to share highlights of information posted in the Echo Memo Blog.
If you would like to get an email every time I post something in the blog - just type your email into the top right corner - where it says, "FOLLOW BY EMAIL." Otherwise, I will send you highlights prior to the new week
If you are having trouble accessing the calendar, be sure to contact our Media Specialist, Lavina Padgett. If you have items to add or see something that needs revising - please contact her!