Hybrid Sched. February 1st - 5th, 2021 (AA/BBB)
Safe, Responsible, & Kind...
Grant Wood Families:
Week of February 1st - 5th (hybrid), AA/BBB
Group A onsite: Monday & Tuesday
Group B onsite: Wednesday, Thursday & Friday
*Wednesday is early release day, students dismissed at 1:55pm
OLP Students: virtual (online) Monday- Friday
...Kind, Safe, & Responsible...
Learning Model (1/29/21) District Update:
On Friday, a bill was signed by the Governor requiring school districts to provide parents an option to send students to school five days a week. Due to this change in state law, the District will offer a 100% on-site option and a 100% online option (ICCSD PK-12 Online Learning Program).
Effective February 15, 2021, the District will no longer offer the hybrid option.
Families will have a choice between the following two enrollment options:
- Option 1 (100% On-Site): Enroll the student in the 100% on-site program.
- Option 2 (100% Online): Enroll the student in the 100% online program.
This selection must be made by February 3, 2021.
Please Note: If you are changing modes (from online to on-site, or on-site to online) you will further have to specify between the:
- Option to begin your new mode on February 15, 2021, or
- Option to delay the change for your student until the beginning of Trimester 3 which will be on March 11, 2021.
Families insterested in making an enrollment change but do not complete this permission item will remain in their current enrollment mode (on-site or online) on February 15, 2021, and at the beginning of Trimester 3. The deadline to make a change selection is Wednesday, February 3rd.
IMPORTANT: If you are not changing your enrollment mode (i.e., you are currently online and plan to stay online, or you are currently onsite and plan to stay onsite), you do not need to take any action at this time. However, please note that current hybrid group students who do not change enrollment will transition to 5 days a week onsite starting on Feb. 15th.
If you need any help in completing this process, please reach out to your school’s Principal, Counselor, Student & Family Advocate, or Cultural Liaison. If you have forgotten your PowerSchool login information, please call the Grant Wood Elem. office, 319-688-1180. Thank you for your continued support and understanding as we navigate the unique circumstances of this school year. #ICCSDtogether
February... Black History Month
February is National (African American) Black History Month; let us all strive to not limit ourselves nor our students' learning to an isolated heritage month.
How to make your enrollment change selection...
If you are making a change, keep reading how-to instructions below. To make an enrollment change for your student(s), remember that the deadline is Wednesday, February 3rd, and please follow the steps below:
- sign in to your PowerSchool account;
- click the “Permissions” link on the left side of the page;
- answer all of the permissions questions on the page...the last two questions are the specific ones about the enrollment change
- as you answer each of the Permissions questions (all questions will require a response), scroll down to the bottom of the permissions list to find the Enrollment Mode Selection;
- make your selection between 100% Onsite (Option 1) & 100% Online (Option 2) enrollment; **Here, you will indicate whether you are choosing Option 1 or Option 2;
- scroll down to the next permissions option, Mode Change Effective Date;
- make your selection for when to start your selected change, Feb. 15th (Option 1) or March 11th (Option 2); **Here, you will again indicate whether you are choosing Option 1 or Option 2.
- Your signature will be your name typed in the bottom blue line.
Please repeat this process for every student in your family.
***IMPORTANT: While the District’s online program will continue to operate as is currently taking place, the on-site model will change. Additionally, Changes could occur regarding your child’s teacher assignment and/or class schedule.
New Member to the Grant Wood Family
This week, we welcome new Principal Secretary, Peggy Tucker. We are excited to have Ms. Peggy join us as part of the Grant Wood Family. Below, Ms. Peggy shares some interesting facts about herself.
1. Married, two sons, three dogs.
2. Gardening enthusiast! I garden with native plants to create habitat, food, and refuge for critters large and small.
3. I studied abroad in Mérida, Mexico while in college. I had a great time and learned so much about culture & history.
Message to 6th Graders
We are so excited to begin welcoming you to South East Junior High!
Over the next couple of weeks we will be sharing information with you during your 6th grade classes about registration for 7th grade, and what life in junior high is all about. We will be having a parent webinar on Thursday, Feb 4th from 6:00-7:00, students are welcome to login as well, to discuss what registration will be like, what courses you will take in 7th grade and to explain the choice between 100% onsite school and 100% online school for next year. Your 6th grade teachers will be going through a presentation with you in February with additional information, and then we will also be available to zoom into your classes and answer questions you may have.
At this time, we are not sure we will be able to have spring tours like we have in the past, however our SEJH Outreach team has prepared a video tour of our building that you can access HERE.
Please join us for the informational webinar on Feb. 4th if you are able. The meeting will be recorded and sent to all families in case you miss it. The link to the webinar will be shared via email.
I look forward to meeting you and welcome you to South East Junior High!
South East Junior High
ICCSD's Inclement Weather Guidelines
As a reminder, the District's Inclement Weather Guidelines for issuing a
- cancellation, and/or
- early release
decisions can be found on the District’s website by clicking HERE. As decisions are made regarding school day changes, the District aims to keep parents connected so that notifications are received conveniently and timely.
In addition to the notifications that are sent via email, phone, and text, we encourage you to follow the District on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to ensure that announcements are right at your fingertips. We also encourage you to download the District’s mobile app, where you can find everything school and district related in one convenient spot.
If you have any questions, please contact the Educational Services Center at (319) 688-1000.
Message for OLP students
...regarding the statewide reading and math test (FAST) we are using at our school. The Formative Assessment System for Teachers (FAST) is given to every student three times a year to identify students who are performing at or above grade level in reading and math, and those students who might need additional help.
We will begin the winter session of these assessments on February 1st and are asking our Online Learning Program families to sign up for an onsite testing time by January 22 using the signup genius links below.
- KG/1st Grade Sign-Up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0948ACAB2DA7FA7-kgand1st
- 2nd-6th Grade Sign-Up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0948ACAB2DA7FA7-2nd6th
If we do not hear from you, we will proceed with setting up a virtual testing time for your child.
Parking Lot Safety...
we thank our Grant Wood parents for the many instances that they have demonstrated being Safe, Responsible, and Kind Wildcats just as our students. Your support is greatly appreciated.
Due to safety concerns arising from vehicles in the back lot, families dropping off or picking up students at the back will need to do so at the gate and not from within the lot. Also, while we understand that everyone wants the opportunity for a prompt pick up experience when picking up their children from school, it is important that we respect our neighbors private property and not use their driveways or block their driveways. This consideration is greatly appreciated by our community as a whole. Thank you!
Similarly, as we transition to 100% onsite with 5 days a week of onsite school - it will be imperative that drivers in the area use extra caution in our immediate and surrounding area - for the safety of our pedestrian students and families.
Again, we thank our Grant Wood parents for the many instances that they too have demonstrated being Safe, Responsible, and Kind Wildcats just as our students. Your support is very much appreciated. Please call Ms. Maria (Principal) with any questions; 319-688-1180.
No Classroom Parties
*Please note that we will not have Valentine's parties nor exchanges. However, it is important to remember that showing love, compassion, friendship, empathy, and kindness daily remains a Grant Wood goal for which we do not necessarily need a party. Thank you for your support.
No more "snow days" ...District change
Below are some changes to the District's approach to inclement weather days this year. Moving forward, the District will provide online instruction on days when the weather prevents us from having in-person classes. Rather than having our traditional “snow days”, these days will now be considered “virtual learning days”.
Schedules for students in our various models will be as follows on these virtual learning days:
- K-12 Online Learning Program - All classes will continue to meet as scheduled based on the Online Learning Program Schedule.
- Elementary Hybrid (Group A & Group B)
- On-site students - On-site students will follow the Online Learning Program/100% Offsite Schedule. The times and Zoom links will be sent to parents by the classroom teacher prior to 8:00 am. (This applies to A students on A days and to B students on B days.)
- Off-site students - Off-site students will log into the morning meeting as scheduled, and complete any asynchronous activities as planned. Off-site students who are receiving synchronous off-site SDI, interventions, or ELL supports will receive those as planned. (This applies to A students on B days and to B students on A days.)
In addition to virtual learning, on days that inclement weather causes hybrid group students to remain at home, (as explained above) the District will provide Grab & Go Meals at the District’s designated sites on these virtual learning days.
Dear Preschool Families,
The Iowa City Community School District Preschool Program is seeking input from our families to assist in making decisions to improve the program. Please take just a few moments to use the following link and provide your valuable feedback.
Your time and your candid input is greatly appreciated!
Additional Community Resources...
The following resources are available to students and families for assistance with academic achievement, mental health, and emotional well-being. Additional information on Covid-19 and School-Age Child Care assistance are also available.
Coding for Kids (Free options)
For health and safety reasons we cannot receive visitors onto our campus beyond the office. No visitors into our classrooms nor our cafeteria. To help with keeping our community physically distanced, please keep in mind that the Grant Wood office secretaries along with others can be reached by phone, 319-688-1180 and email. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact us:
Principal: Ms. Maria, email@example.com
Student Family Advocate (SFA): Ms. Amber, firstname.lastname@example.org
School Facilitator: Mr. Brown, email@example.com
Instructional Design Strategist (IDS): Ms. Mangan, firstname.lastname@example.org
Counselor: Ms. Newman, email@example.com
Attendance secretary: Ms. Steggall, firstname.lastname@example.org
Office secretary: Ms. Peggy, email@example.com