Rockport High School
Viking News - The Week of 11/14/2022
Happy "Friday", RHS Students!
For a short week, there was a lot going on at RHS! Thank you to Mr. Larsen and the DECA crew for organizing a successful Career Day event for our students. It was fantastic to welcome 13 RHS Alumni back to join the over 25 speakers/sessions offered to our students. The alumni spoke with such passion about how much their own experience at RHS meant to them and how fortunate we all are to have such a tight-knit small community to grow up in.
Mr. Cohen and the RHS Orchestra students worked in conjunction with several outside musicians to prepare an outstanding performance for our students in school on Wednesday in preparation for the main event on Wednesday evening for the annual RPS Orchestra Summit for grades 4-12. The summits continue to be one of the highlight events of the year as they showcase the unique opportunity we have to see the immense progress of our musicians as they begin their craft in 4th grade and commence as seniors. It is truly extraordinary to see! 🎻👏
Kudos and Congratulations to our Boys' Varsity Soccer team for making it to the State Level of competition. Their tourney journey ended this past Monday, but they made us all proud with their true grit and perseverance in getting there. Go Vikings! ⚽🙌
Enjoy the long weekend and take some time to pay tribute to our Veterans for their service and sacrifice. 🇺🇸
Here's to a great week ahead!
Here's a look at the Week Ahead...
11/16 - Parent/Guardian Athletic Meeting for Winter Athletes @ 5 pm (The John Lane Auditorium)
11/17- RMS/RHS Jazz Night @ 6 pm (The Shalin Liu Performance Center)
11/19 - PTO Fair 9am - 2pm in the RMHS Cafeteria/Gymnasium
11/23 - Student/Staff Castle Ball Game to Kick off the Thanksgiving Holiday (10:00-11:00)
11/23 - 1/2 Day before the Thanksgiving Holiday
11/30- MS/HS Madrigal/Chamber Music Concert @ 6 pm (The Shalin Liu Performance Center)
12/6 - 1/2 Day for Students (Professional Development Afternoon for Staff)
12/14 - HS Winter Concert @ 6 pm (John Lane Auditorium)
12/23 - 1/2 Day before the Holiday Vacation!
Q1 Grading Information:
Q1 grades closed to students on Friday, November 4th. Report cards were posted in Aspen this afternoon, Thursday, November 10th. If you have any questions about your grades, please contact the classroom teacher. If you need a hard copy of your report card or have any issues viewing final grades in Aspen after Thursday, November 10th, please contact Ms. Lucido in the Main Office.
Weekly Assembly - Theme of the Month:
Developing Inclusive & Authentic Leadership that Inspires Change
Rockport PTO Holiday Fair
The Rockport PTO is hosting the annual Holiday Fair on November 19th. This is a great opportunity for community service hours. If you are willing/able to help set up the tables on Friday, November 18th, right after school, and taking the tables down when the fair is over at 2:30 on Saturday, November 19th, please fill out the form below.
We hope to see you all there!
We are excited to begin registration for the NSCC Spring 2023 "After School" Early College Courses online and in-person starting the week of January 30, 2023! These courses are free and transferable for both high school and college credit. We are thankful for our partnership with North Shore Community College and looking forward to supporting our RHS students. There are a limited number of spots for each class, so spots are "first come first served" and are open to ALL students who meet the proficiency requirements.
Introduction to Marketing (online)
Introduction to Psychology (online)
Introduction to Criminal Justice (in-person on Lynn campus)
Introduction to Digital Media Literacy (hybrid: online and in-person on Lynn campus)
Medical Terminology for Spanish Speaking Students (online)
Computer Aided Design: AutoCAD (in-person on Lynn campus)
Stop by RHS Guidance for more Information or email email@example.com
Winter Sports Registration is Now Open!
Please click the link below to register for winter sports:
Important Senior Dates for Your Long-Term Planning...
Thursday, May 25th: Senior Showcase at The Shalin Liu Performance Center
Friday, May 26th: Last day of school for seniors (Exams may be built into the final few days of school. Details will be forthcoming as we get closer to the date).
Tuesday, May 30th - Friday, June 2nd: Senior Week! All seniors are expected to attend graduation rehearsals from 8am - 10:30 am that week. Evening events are scheduled for the majority of nights that week. Stay tuned for details to come.
Tuesday, May 30th: Athletic Awards Night
Wednesday, May 31st: Senior Banquet 6pm-8pm @ The Elks
Friday, June 2nd: RHS Graduation @ 5 pm
RPS Job Opportunities
- The Rockport Public Schools seek to hire full-time and substitute bus drivers. Please see the RPS Bus Driver Posting for details.
- The Rockport Public Schools seek to hire Cafeteria workers. If you are interested in applying for the position, please send your resume and supporting materials to Deborah Nokes via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the Health Office...
The Department of Public Health and the Massachusetts Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics want to remind parents and families about steps to take to prevent illness and stay healthy this season:
- Vaccinate your children ages 6 months and older against influenza as soon as possible.
- Vaccinate your children ages 6 months and older against COVID-19; children 5 and older who had their primary series more than 2 months ago should receive an updated COVID-19 booster as soon as possible.
- Remember, you can get a COVID-19 vaccine and flu shot at the same time.
- If your infant has been offered treatment with protective antibodies due to their prematurity or another condition, keep on schedule with their monthly treatments.
- Practice hand hygiene frequently with soap and water or hand sanitizer. Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, or if a tissue is not available, cover them with an elbow, not a hand.
- Clean high touch surfaces in your home frequently with household disinfectants.
- Keep children home from daycare or school who have fever, especially with a cough, difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, congestion, runny nose, or sore throat, until they are fever-free for 24 hours without medications that reduce fever.
- Avoid social gatherings if you or your children are ill.
- Contact your pediatrician or healthcare provider if you believe your child needs medical care. Your provider can offer advice on whether your child needs to be evaluated in person, tested for COVID or flu, and the best location (doctor’s office, urgent care, emergency room) for care.