January 2023 Newsletter
Happy New Year!
We are excited to be back at school. As we move into the new year, we are looking forward to receiving a four classroom "learning village" to help alleviate classroom space issues, kicking off REAL Men Read, and sharing more about plans for an updated playground.
We have spent the first few days of the semester reviewing expectations with our students. Our teachers are sharing engaging lessons and students are producing quality work. 2023 is off to a great start at Sandersville!
Clover has Returned Home
Orchestra Students Played to Greet Students on PJ Day
Azra Yayali, and family, at the FCPS Art Reception with Dr. Liggins and Board Members
2023 School Improvement Plan Approved
Each year, staff members and the Sandersville SBDM review multiple points of data to make an improvement plan. Data including KSA, MAP, Brigance, and survey results are used to develop next steps. KDE requires specific goals in certain areas. Goals that our SBDM approved for submission to the state include:
- By 2025, Sandersville will increase Reading proficient and distinguished levels to 70% as measured by KSA. The current level is 63%.
- By 2025, Sandersville will increase Math proficient and distinguished levels to 65% as measured by KSA. The current level is 58%.
- By 2025, Sandersville will increase Science proficient and distinguished levels to 50% as measured by KSA. The current level is 41%.
- By 2025, Sandersville will increase Social Studies proficient and distinguished levels to 60% as measured by KSA. The current level is 53%.
- By 2025, Sandersville will increase Combined Writing proficient and distinguished levels to 65% as measured by KSA. The current level is 58%.
- By 2025, Sandersville will grow 100% of English Learner students by at least .5 in their composite score as measured by ACCESS. The current level is 73%.
- By 2025, Sandersville will increase the Quality of School Climate and Safety Index to 87 as measured by KSA. The current level is 80.
Our SBDM Council also includes in the plan: strategies, activities, and measurements that will allow the school to track progress towards the different goals. Math professional development, book studies, and purchasing additional literacy resources are a few strategies and activities listed in the plan.
Attendance, Excused Absences, and Education Enhancement Opportunities
- Any student arriving after 7:45 or leaving before 2:35 is considered tardy.
- Excuse notes should be turned in at the front office within three days of an absence. FCPS policy requires a physical note.
- Families of students accumulating multiple unexcused absences or tardies could have truant notices mailed by the FCPS Office of District Personnel (DPP).
Finally, the FCPS DPP office has been much more lenient with Education Enhancement Opportunities since online learning ended. Beginning in January, Sandersville will go back to a much stricter interpretation of the EEO form. Moving forward, any approved EEO will need to very clearly meet all 3 criteria listed on the form:
- having an educational purpose
- having “significant educational value”
- including how the activity is directly related to one of the core curriculum subjects of English, science, mathematics, social studies, foreign language or the arts.
PBIS Committee Parent Representative
January 6- Sandersville Spirit DayJanuary 11- FRC Advisory Council (3:15)
January 12- Papa John's Dining to Donate
January 16- Martin Luther King Jr. Day (No School)
Januray 19- PTA Meeting
January 21- First Game for Sandersville Basketball Team and Spirit Squad
January 24- SBDM (4:30)
January 24- Orchestra Concert (6:30)
January 28- Basketball Game
February 24- Third Grade Music Showcase
Principal's Message- NTI
Dear Sandersville Families,
As we move into the heart of January and roll forward to February, the threat of snow and ice increases. FCPS is using NTI Days as an option, again, during the 2022-2023 school year. Your child's teachers will communicate plans for your student. Your student should be connected to their Google Classroom and have access to a Zoom Link where your family can speak directly to the teacher during office hours of NTI Days. Online office hours for Sandersville are 8:30-10:30 AM. Reach out to your child's teachers if you have questions about what NTI will look like for your student.
Sandersville NTI resources and additional information can be found on the NTI Page of our school website.
Announcements for NTI days can be found on the FCPS website and messages will be sent via email and text. Ensure you have accurate phone numbers and email addresses entered into the Infinite Campus Parent Portal and have opted into those communication types.
If assistance is ever needed, call the office at 859- 381-4980 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.