Based on 7 Steps to Building a Language Rich Classroom
To build academic language, I will intentionally plan the QSSSA strategy to use in my classroom this week.
I will speak using the following sentence stem:
- Being intentional about planning academic language opportunities is important because...
What is QSSSA?
- Q (Question): The teacher asks a question.
- S (Signal): The students give the teacher a response (determined by the teacher) when they are ready to answer.
- S (Stem): The teacher provides a sentence stem to frame structure language.
- S (Share): Students are asked to share their responses with one or more peers.
- A (Assess): The teacher assesses the quality of discussion by selecting a few students to share their answers with the whole class.
Q- Why is it important to be intentional when planning academic language opportunities in your lessons?
S- Thinker's Chin
S- One reason it is important to be intentional when planning academic language opportunities is...
S- Find a partner at a different table
- "In addition..."
A- Numbered Heads