Week of April 19, 2021
Greetings Westside Families! Thank you for continuing to support our school and your children. We received your input from the BPS Parent survey and thank you to the 194 families who gave their perspective. I am reviewing this information and celebrating the positive feedback while making plans to improve our areas of growth.
We understand there are many questions with regard to what next school year will look like. We are currently working through and finalizing many details, but wanted to provide you with some preliminary information as we look forward to a new school year in the fall. As more information becomes available, we will be sharing that with you. Thank you for your continued cooperation, support and for your partnership in educating our children through a very challenging time.
Preliminary 2021-22 School Year Information
- First Day of School for students is August 10th – published on the board approved calendar
- We are planning for secondary schools to return to a 7 period day vs. block scheduling pending board and community input and approval
- We will be fully brick and mortar and not providing the synchronized eLearning platform
- Students who wish to have virtual options may do so through Brevard Virtual School
- Dual Enrollment will continue as an option for students
- BPS will resume foreign exchange program next year
- We are anticipating a full return to all activities with relevant safety precautions based on prevailing COVID conditions at that time
- The mask mandate as it pertains to next school year is currently being discussed. More information will be provided once it is available
Here is the link the official calendar for next school year:
Please see below for school based events and the amazing things our students are doing each and every day! Have a wonderful week!
~Mrs. Stephanie Woodbury, Principal
Purple UP for the Military Child
On Wednesday, 4/21 we will be celebrating Purple UP! Day in honor of the military child. Westside has many students whose parents are active military and numerous staff members who were "military brats" during their childhood. April honors the military child because they serve too! We encourage everyone to wear PURPLE on Wednesday this week!
Pre-Registration Packets Are Due!
Advertise Your Business in our 2021-2022 Student Planner
- Quarter page: $25
- Half page: $50
- Full page: $100
There are limited spots, so please reach out to Mrs. Woodbury via email listed below. Use subject line: "Planner Ad". Thank you! Email: Woodbury.Stephanie@BrevardSchools.org
Westside Students Learn Every Moment of Every Day
In Mrs. Antinore's 4th Grade class, students did a social studies research project and wrote a letter to receive sponsorship for their expeditions to Florida. They also used their brain power on National Scrabble Day to create words against classmates!
Mrs. M. Baker’s 4th Grade class has been studying the Spanish Explorers Juan Ponce de León, Juan Garrido, Pánfilo de Narváez, Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca, Estéban Dorantes, or Hernando de Soto and learning about their motivations for their expeditions to Florida. Students research their favorite explorer and then prepared a “Text Message Interview” with the explorer of their choice.
During their Science block, her class has been studying the properties of minerals in science and learning how to use the properties to classify minerals.
First graders in Ms. Goolsby's class used two books from Peter H. Reynolds to teach the standard “compare and contrast the adventures and experiences of characters in stories.” Students wrote to demonstrate understanding of the standard and even had time to paint their own picture, like the children in the stories.
2nd- Bonnett & Johnston
iReady is an online learning program that builds ELA and Math skills to help students master grade level standards. Students are encouraged to complete lessons with a 90% pass rate.
- April 19th- iReady Diagnostic #3 Testing Window Begins (K & 3rd)
- April 19th- SAC Meeting @2:45p (virtual link)
- April 21st- PurpleUP! Day- Wear purple to support our military families
- April 23rd- Pre-Registration Packets Due!
- May 4th- FSA ELA (4-6) and Math (3-6) Window Opens
- May 18th- FSA Science (5th) Window Opens
- May 31st- Holiday for ALL (Memorial Day)
- June 1st- Early Release
- June 2nd- 6th Grade Graduation/Early Release
- June 3rd-Last Day of School/Report Cards Issued/Early Release