The Spartan Spotlight
November 16, 2023
☀️ Week of Kindness ☀️
🧑🎓 Educating Students About HIB 🧑🎓
- Students in Grades K-8 have been meeting with Mrs. Sommers, Mrs. Backal and Officer Rodriquez this week to learn about and to promote the prevention of Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying (HIB).
- Age-appropriate topics include: definitions of HIB, the importance of reporting, the difference between bullying and conflict, being safe and respectful online (cyberbullying) and what to do if you or someone you know is being bullied.
📚 The Book Fair 📚
The Book Fair was a Success!
Over $6,200 in sales! This means over $3,000 in "Scholastic Dollars" were awarded to Gibbsboro. This will go toward purchasing new books for our birthday book cart and library!
A special thanks to following staff members:
- Mrs. Luistro - She helped set up for the book fair and family night.
- Ms. Harris, Ms. Wint, Mrs. Weinberg, Mr. Galda, Mrs. Luistro, and Ms. Terry for reading at family night!
- Mrs. Backal who organized TAG members to help on browsing day!
- Mrs. Lewis who organized NJHS students to help at family night!
- Mrs. MacFerren and Mrs. Aversa who assisted in various ways!
Mrs. Hirsh is looking forward to hosting another successful book fair in the spring.
🎟️ The Raffle Table at the Book Fair 🎟️
🍁 Fall Into Reading" Family Night fun with Mrs. Weinburg & Ms. Harris. 🍁
🏅 Big CONGRATS to our HSA October Students and Staff Member of the Month!🏅
🏆 Incredible Student Accomplishments! 🏆
☀️ Staff Shout-Outs!☀️
😀 Fun, Learning and Festivities! 😀
So much fun and learning happening here at Gibbsboro School!
Pre-K - Ms. Kerri and Mrs. Ebersole
Tree Study Project
Pre-K - Ms. Killian and Ms. Maddie
Ms. Killian and Ms. Maddie took their students outside to collect leaves, sticks and acorns for their Tree Study!
Welcome to Pre-K Heinz!
Halloween was filled with laughter and smiles! And great costumes!
Kindergarten - Mrs. Hartzell and Miss Chambers
We asked the HSA to purchase chalkboards for kindergarten last month during the HSA meeting! We started using them to reinforce letter formation with chalk and a wet Q-tip. The students are loving it!
Fancy Nancy Day was so much fun!
Ist Grade - Mrs. Berryann and Miss Bausman
Character and setting were reviewed by making a "home" for Wanda the Witch.
Mrs. Luistro's Class
Pumpkin carving to practice fine motor skills was so much fun!
Ms. Amber and a student were TWINS for the day!
2nd Grade Art Class - Ms. Slocum
2nd Grade had a great time making Australian Aboriginal inspired artwork!
3rd Grade is Making Music with Ms. Jones!
3rd Grade - Mrs. Atkinson
Mrs. Atkinson's class is starting a Junior Student Council! They will begin a service learning project and will be mentored by the Middle School Student Council!
And therapy dogs are visiting each week!
3rd Grade - Mrs. Graham
Mrs. Graham's class celebrated the Halloween and Fall season by reading the book Pumpkin Jack, carving our own “Jacks”, counting the seeds, setting up an estimation contest (Ms. Katie won!), and using the seeds to build arrays to model the distributive property that we have been learning about in math. We put our “Jacks” in the breezeway garden to observe as they decompose and (hopefully!) become a new patch of pumpkins in the spring! For writing, we practiced persuasive writing with our haunted house listings!
4th Grade - Miss Zientek
We had a lot of fun with our teamwork activity using pumpkins and toothpicks.
5th Grade - Miss DiGiovanni and Mrs. Jungclaus
Lots of fun in 5th grade. We had a Halloween party where Mrs. J surprised us with a visit! We also have been working very hard in centers, as well as in science, where we have been experimenting with different acids and bases.
Ms. Gibson's Classes
- 7th grade is reading The Outsiders and working on nature poems outside, inspired by Robert Frost's "Nothing Gold Can Stay."
- 6th grade just finished writing "Fortune Cookie Stories"-- we used messages in actual fortune cookies as themes to inspire the stories.
📷 Want to see your child in the next newsletter? 📷
If you haven't already, please complete the Publicity/Media Release Form. A form must be completed for each student attending Gibbsboro.