Middle School Principals
January News and Updates
Using Data to Improve Learning, Stay on Target and Keep Focused!
1. Are you keeping track of progress towards your school improvement goals? What are ways that you are measuring your goals? Good time to take a quick check to make sure your staff remain focused on the activities and strategies that are school wide.
2. Are students keeping track of their own progress? Have them keep track of spelling, tests, quizzes, completion, progress towards learning targets, etc...
3. Are you meeting with your teachers who need to have a Midyear Progress Meeting? Reviewing their IDP to see how things are coming along is another example of looking at the data mid year. Is what they are doing working? Do goals/support need to be adjusted?
4. Are you tracking progress for students that are struggling? Using your MTSS plan--how are those interventions going? Using the strategies presented by Jodie Kruse, have a data day to review how things are going. Better to find out midyear than wait and find out there is not enough time.
5. Finding pesky behaviors trending from students and/or staff? Get it identified and come up with a plan to nip it. Behaviors, if left unchecked (in both adults and students) and cause bigger problems down the road.
6. January is a good time to review your goals What did you want to accomplish for the year? Personally and professionally? How are you making progress? What do you need to stop, start and continue?
January Professional Development Ideas
Check out our Winter PD Catalog!
Don't Miss These Upcoming Events!
SAVE THE DATES!
Monday, May 19th, 8:30am
Watch for an early-bird registration special in January!
Rick Wormeli continues the discussion on effective grading practices, addressing the benefits and challenges of change.
Adaptive Schools Training
Tuesday, April 1st, 8am
GISD Davis Center
Four full days: April 1, April 28, August 5 and 6