Word From The Woods
Bishop Woods Newsletter 3.21.22
Hello Bishop Woods Family!
This is Ms. Crisci with some updates for this week:
We had a great week at Bishop Woods! Students participated in PI day challenges and the winners will be announced during the week and they will receive their reward. On March 17th, students showed school spirit by wearing green and participated in the 5P parade and classroom door decorating contest. On Mar. 22nd, students who won the PI day challenges will be announced and receive their prize.
Grade 8 parents: on Friday a letter went home with your child explaining the end of year activities and dues. On Mar. 24th there will be an in person grade 8 parent meeting from 6:00 to 7:00 regarding student graduation, end of year activities and any questions you may have.
Mar. 25th is our Community Meeting along with the Student of the Month and Rising Star awards. The meeting will be live streamed to all the classrooms.
Thank you for being a part of the Bishop Woods family! Have a great week!
3/15 ERIC WILLIAMS
3/15 JAYMARIE LEVACK
3/16 JEFFERSON ARRIAGA
3/17 ZARIYAH LEWIS
3/17 YARIEL SERRANO
3/18 XYRIAH LAGRIER
3/18 DOMINIC GUNN
3/18 GIA LAVERDE GUTIERREZ
3/19 GABRIEL SOTO SOLANO
3/20 JERMAIN COWAN
3/20 ALEXIS SOSNIAK
3/22 SABRINA SCOTT
3/22 JAYVIEN JAMES-LOPEZ
3/23 FARHAN KHAN
3/26 MALEAH CAPLE
3/26 ESMATULLAH MUSAKHEL
3/27 LONDYN ALSTON
3/27 WALTER JAYNES
Would you like a free tree for your home?
What is it? - Urban Resources Initiative (URI), a nonprofit organization based out of the Yale School of the Environment that plants free trees for New Haven residents and businesses has partnered with the City of New Haven to give trees to New Haven residents.
The vision of this campaign is to honor the changes in the lives of students and their families--such as graduating this school year, a birthday, a new job, a new child in the family, or moving to a new home--through the gift of trees. This service is provided for free on behalf of URI and the City of New Haven, and trees would be planted between late March and mid May.
Renters are also eligible to participate as long as they receive permission from their landlord.
The form to request a tree (or multiple) is: https://uri.yale.edu/get-involved/request-free-tree
The deadline to request is April 1st to ensure placement on our spring planting schedule.
Prizes will be awarded to the New Haven school with the most trees adopted by their students and staff!
ART at Bishop Woods!
Interested in a career in education? Check out the flyer below!
Please visit the NHPS webpage for all updated COVID guidance.
or visit our webpage at
and click on the 2021 Important Parent Information Page
Tips for parents - Talking to your children about world events
For Preschool/Elementary Students
· How to Talk to Kids About the Ukraine Invasion: This PBS article discusses how to talk to preschool and elementary aged children.
For Elementary/Middle School Students
· Resilience in a time of war: Tips for parents and teachers of elementary school children: This article from the American Psychological Association can help adults guide their young children beyond fear and to resilience.
· Resilience in a time of war: Tips for parents and teachers of middle school children: The American Psychological Association breaks out tips and strategies for parents and teachers of middle school-aged children.
For All Ages
· How to handle war from afar: This article from the American Psychological Association can help adults manage their own feelings and fears.
· Helping Your Students Cope With a Violent World: Edutopia article features strategies for helping children make sense with historical perspective, feel empowered and inspire them to feel hopeful.
· How to Talk to Kids About Violence, Crime, and War: Common Sense Media gathers tips and conversation starters to help you talk to kids of different ages about the toughest topics.
· Talking to Your Kids About War: VeryWell Family explores ways families can speak with young people about war, including tips on sharing information and restricting media coverage.
· It makes sense that the attack on Ukraine is causing you anxiety, experts say. Here’s what to do: CNN article that features tips for people of all ages.
· Talking to children about violence: National Association of School Psychologist article provides tips for parents on how to talk about war with their children.
· 5 Tips for talking with students about the Russia-Ukraine war: EdWeekly article discusses tips for talking about the conflict.
Media Literacy Tools
· How to Teach Kids Media Literacy
Sign up for Remind texts!
Remind will allow you to receive important text information from the school. To sign up:
Text @bwfam to 81010
Save The Date!
April 6th - Early Dismissal
April 14th - Early Dismissal
April 15th - No School - Good Friday
Week of April 18 - 22 - No School Spring Recess
DISTRICT CALENDAR SY2021-2022
Here is the direct link to the district calendar on the NHPS website. I have also provided a photo below.