The Mane Place for Lion News
Secondary Campus Newsletter - Oct 21, 2022
In this Newsletter....
- Dyslexia Awareness Month
- Helper Helper details on required community service below
- Nominate a Teacher for a Dewey Award
- Parent partnership makes LPS the PLACE to be! Partnership opportunities below
- Link to the "All Things Senior Class of 2023" Announcements below
- How to submit yearbook photos
- Subscribe to our EVENTS CALENDAR
Share your positive interactions with the staff by giving them a virtual High Five! Submit this form for teachers and administrators to receive your thanks!
It’s Dyslexia Awareness Month!
At LPS, we want to recognize the strengths and brilliance that a student with dyslexia brings to our school community! Take a moment to check out these awesome resources to learn more about dyslexia.
Dyslexia Awareness Month Perpetual Calendar
Community Service Hours are Required EACH Semester
To access the volunteer app, sign in here: https://app.helperhelper.com/
We have events listed every Friday evening with Generations Hope from 5:30-8:30. More information is on the Helper Helper website/app!
Helper Helper is our Community Service App
We use the Helper Helper app to coordinate and track community service. It will make it easy for you to find volunteer opportunities and track your hours. You can add any volunteer opportunity to your Helper Helper record.
Follow the steps below to download and sign in to the mobile app on your iPhone or Android device.
1. Download the Helper Helper mobile app
2. Sign In to the Helper Helper mobile app
****THIS IS IN YOUR STUDENT'S LPSFRISCO.NET EMAIL ADDRESS. IT MAY HAVE GONE TO "SPAM" FOLDER.***
Community Service Hours must be submitted online to Helper-Helper by the student. A description of the service, along with the date, #of hours, service organization, supervisor’s name information, and a brief reflection must be included. Hours will not be approved until they have been verified on Helper-Helper by the volunteer supervisor. Any missing information may result in non-approved service hours.
1) Look for an email from Helper-Helper it will be from firstname.lastname@example.org follow the instructions to complete the registration process. You must use your LPS email address. If you are able to join a group, please join your graduating class.
2) Record your complete service hours. Remember to complete all information regarding the event at which you volunteered. See the list below for LPS Approved Community Service Hours. Your supervisor’s email address must be included so they may verify your hours.
Helper Helper believes in the positive impact people can make in their community. Thanks for everything you do.
P.S. If you do not have an iPhone or Android mobile device, login to the volunteer app at https://app.helperhelper.com/
Don't know where to start volunteering? Click here for a library of links to different volunteer opportunities.
Nominate a Teacher
In celebration of the teachers who change lives every day, the Dewey Awards are seeking stories of inspirational teachers. The annual Dewey Awards invites educators, students, and parents to submit a story of their change-making teacher by October 28, 2022, for the chance at a $1,000 grant gifted to the charter school of their choice.
SUBMIT YOUR STORY
Picking just three winners for the $1,000 charter school grants is no easy task, but our amazing Review Board will read or watch all submissions and select the most inspirational educator stories. We’ve asked them to judge based on what makes their heart pitter-patter. We’re not looking for grammatical perfection, video prowess, or writing expertise—just powerful stories of teachers that inspire.
Parent Partnership Opportunities!
Volunteer with LPS Comp Sci
We encourage our LPS parents in the computer science industry to reach out to us at email@example.com to co-teach or tutor in the classroom during that time.
- You would be helping students work through the design process and debugging their code along with reminding them to keep a journal of their learning.
Even if you would only like to guest lecture once, we'd love to host you!
When you email firstname.lastname@example.org, you will reach all the CTE teachers that would love your help with amazing projects and events in the classroom.
Other opportunities for Parent Partnership:
- We are always looking for guest speakers! Particularly the course of our 8th-grade careers looks to offer these for the students a few times every nine weeks. If you're interested in this please reach out to email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org , or email@example.com
- Band Needs Volunteer Mentors! We are looking for some retirees who would be willing to be ‘band mentors’ and play their instruments with our high school/middle school band. You have the choice of joining us during MOD 4 (11:00-11:51 AM) or MOD 7 (1:59-2:50 PM), whichever works best for you, a minimum of two days a week (your choice!). Please contact Dr. Michael Stone (972-370-3650 x 638 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information!” Dr. Michael Stone LPS Head Band Director 972-370-3650 Ext. 638
- Parent Pride Patrol! The Pride Patrol is a welcome presence in the hallways, stairwells and lunchroom. Parents can greet students, build rapport, check for hall passes and monitor safety. The time commitment is minimal. Time slots are in 30-minute increments on Mondays and Fridays. Sign up for a time slot here
Science Olympiad practices are Mondays (room 132) and Thursdays (room 134) from 3:50PM to 4:30PM.
All Things Seniors Class of 2023
Yearbook is entirely student driven!
Boosterthon Fundraising Starts
Tuesday, Oct. 25th, 2:45pm
8100 Teel Parkway
More Important October Dates
- October 21st- Class Shirt and Jeans Day/ Senior Six Flags Trip
- October 25th- PSAT for 10th and 11th grade
- October 26th- No School/ Report Cards Posted
Veteran’s Day Celebration
Friday, Nov. 11th, 2:15pm
8100 Teel Parkway
We invite any military families and veterans to the gym on Friday, Nov. 11, 2022, during MOD 7 & 8. For more infromation please contact Dr. MStone@lpsfrisco.com or RSVP here
The Fine Arts Area (Art, Band, Theatre) will be performing during the event, and guest speakers, State Representative Jared Patterson and City Councilman John Keating will be speaking as well. If your family has a Veteran of the US Armed Services at home, we welcome them to come and be a part of this great celebration!
Thursday, Nov. 17th, 6pm to Saturday, Nov. 19th, 11pm
8100 Teel Parkway
LPS Parent Pride Patrol!
Don't know what LPS Parent Pride Patrol is? It is a program for parents to be involved and servant lead. It's an easy job, you are actively present, slightly intimidating, yet friendly and you get to wear a cool vest and have a Walkie Talkie. The Pride Patrol is a welcome presence in the hallways, stairwells and lunchroom. Parents can greet students, build rapport, check for hall passes and monitor safety. The time commitment is minimal. Time slots are in 30-minute increments. Sign up for one or several!
We currently have Pride Patrol on Mondays and Fridays.
Steps to get started:
- If you haven't already done so for this year, you will need to complete the yearly background check (this information is kept confidential) before serving (you don't hear back unless there is an issue)
- Sign up for a time slot here
- Review this list of things to look for and do while on patrol
Show up for your time slot(s) at the Secondary Front Office. You will need to check in with your ID. There will be a special place to get your Pride Patrol vest and Walkie Talkie.
See links below for helpful calendars and handbook information.
Parent Student Handbook
Parent Portal for Grades