Clear Creek High School Band
Yes... it's time to start planning for the HS experience!
Greetings 8th Grade Parents and Students!
We are excited about you joining us at Clear Creek High School in 2020-2021. It will be time to start thinking about your first year of high school before you know it! We wanted to make sure that you had answers to some of the most frequently asked questions and concerns prior to starting the transition to Clear Creek High School.
The good news is that with your Creek Band Family firmly in place, you will start your Freshman year at CCHS with a large group of friends and support systems in place to help you be successful and enjoy your four years as a Wildcat!
Please don't hesitate to contact any of us if you have any questions and we will continue to send important information throughout the spring as we get closer to the end of the 2019-2020 school year!
Why should my student take band in high school?
- Band promotes academic accountability, time management skills, exercise, friendship, leadership skills, creative expression, teamwork, a sense of accomplishment and increased opportunity for college scholarships.
- Band is both a Fine Arts and Physical Education credit!
"Marching Band is strange and scary..."
It also goes away almost immediately! Marching Band ends up being one of the favorite activities of HS band students. Usually students just need about 2-3 days before it starts to make sense.
Ask someone who has been there and done that...they will tell you the same thing!
Will band hurt my student's GPA? I want them to get in the best college/university!
- Based on data collected by CCISD, participation in the fine arts will not have a significant impact on a student's GPA. Consistently, students placing at the top of their graduating class participate in performing arts activities throughout their high school career.
- Survey's of college admissions staff indicate that class rank is no longer a primary determining factor in admission.
- Colleges and Universities are now looking for the most well-rounded students they can find, and band students are at the top of that list!
How can I make sure my student is enrolled in band?
- When course selection is in progress, students just need to select "Band" on their course schedule...it doesn't matter which class...we will take care of the rest.
- When you receive your course registration confirmation, if "Band" or "Percussion" are not listed on the course list, please contact the counselor to correct. You should also contact Mr. Fincher to assist.
Can my student participate in band and other activities at Clear Creek HS?
- Yes! We have students who participate in literally every other activity at Clear Creek HS. There is alway a way to work in athletics, other fine arts classes, CTE classes, etc. Just communicate with Mr. Fincher regarding any potential or perceived conflicts so we can assist.
- Do not let anyone tell you it can't be done. Always talk with Creek Band Staff first...we can almost always figure out a solution.
I'm already planning family trips for 2020...what do I need to know?
- Band requires everyone present in order for the organization to be successful. We require that everyone be in attendance all the time (barring any emergencies and documented illnesses.)
- Please do not plan any family vacations from July 28th through the beginning of November. This seems like a long time, but this is the busiest time of the year and everyone must be present. We have rehearsals, football games, and marching contests...everyone must be present.
What is the upcoming schedule for incoming 9th graders? When do they need to start showing up?
Freshmen Movement Camp
- May 13th, 14th, and 15th - 5:00pm to 8:00pm
- June 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th - 7:00am to 4:00pm
- Starts July 28th through the beginning of school.
- Every Monday through Saturday from 7am to 4pm.
What does the schedule during the school year look like?
Students are placed into one band class based on their instrument and band placement.
In the fall, the typical rehearsal schedule for marching band is:
- Monday - 6:00pm to 9:00pm
- Tuesday - 3:30pm to 6:00pm
- Thursday - 3:30pm to 6:00pm
In the spring, the schedule is much lighter, but each student will be expected to attend at least the following:
- One sectional per week
- One full ensemble rehearsal per week
- Other rehearsals as deemed appropriate based on their band placement and/or participation
Students have opportunities (and are encouraged) to participate in multiple activities and events including:
- Private Lessons
- All-State and All-Region Band & Orchestra
- Solo & Ensemble Contests
- Indoor Drumline
- Jazz Band
- Travel Opportunities
How much does band cost?
- Band is not a cheap activity...but we do our best to provide the absolute best for all students while keeping costs as low as possible.
- As a group, we do a minimum number of "high yield" fundraisers each year to offset the cost per student and keep the program growing and thriving.
- No student will ever be denied participation in the Clear Creek Band Program for financial challenges. The Creek Band Staff is always able and willing to work with any financial situation. Contact Mr. Fincher if you have questions.
- See this sheet for detailed information. Please remember these are educated estimates and are subject to change.
How can I get involved? Does my student even want me to get involved?
You can volunteer to help with:
- Chaperoning - Travel with the students to and from games, contests, and trips
- Pit Crew - Help with instruments and equipment to make every Friday night and contest show happen
- Tailgating - Help feed the students before and during football games and contests
- Prop Building - Crafty? Handy? Like tools, metal, and loud noises? Help us build props for marching band, winter guard, and indoor drumline!
More information on how you as parents and supporters can get involved will be coming in the spring.
What do I do next?
- Complete the form at the top of this newsletter.
- Select "Band" on your course selection for CCHS.
- Pay attention to e-mails and announcements from your CCHS Band Staff and your intermediate Band Director.
- Contact us if you have questions!