October 7, 2020 Indiana Middle Level Education Association
Helping Students Become More Media Literate
Tutoring/Mentoring Programs Available to Students
These websites would be great to share on your school website, library page, parent pages, etc., for when students can use additional help beyond the school day (whatever form that is!)
- Many public libraries are contracting with vendors so that they can offer tutoring connections to your students for free, such as Tutor.com, Brainfuse. I have seen parents praise these sites. Some may require students to have a public library card to log in. Connections include chat, email and more, and student identities are secure.
- NEW: The Indiana Retired Teachers Assoc. has created the Call & Learn Hotline, available 1-5 pm ET Tuesday-Thursday via phone for K-12 students. Middle & high school students will be connected to educators in their requested areas.
- IU's Student Success Core provides more than just tutoring; it is a program that matches up Indiana students in grades 6-12 with an IU student; connection will be via Zoom (or phone for students without good internet connections). There is an application.
- Rose Hulman's AskRose.org: Students can call 877-ASK-ROSE, email, or chat live with a friendly tutor, Sunday-Thursday 7-10 pm ET. Also, resource guides are on their site 24/7.
Special Opportunities for Students
Students can still register; they will not receive materials in the mail, but will have access to a list of household materials to replicate some experiments, and have full access to all events online.
The Purdue University College of Science K-12 Outreach Team is pleased to announce that registration is now open for Codename: Geo STEM (Girls Engaging in Online Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics)
Teachers can register now through October 31, 2020 for this FREE Professional Learning Experience!
Codename: Geo STEM is a project funded by the Halliburton Foundation to serve both middle and high school teachers and their students. This project will create opportunities for teacher professional development related to remote instruction strategies, how to teach coding, and how to implement STEM projects into their curricula. Students will learn to code and have the opportunity to create a STEM project that will be submitted to a 2021 virtual symposium. Additionally, students will learn about geoscience careers from STEM professionals and benefit from interacting with mentors from STEM backgrounds.
For more information on the timeline for this program and to access the registration link, please visit our site: https://www.purdue.edu/science/K12/GEOSTEM.html
Just for Fun!
This Week's INSPIRE3 Update
Highlights included in this INSPIRE3 Update for 10/5/20 Thank You for sharing this Update with your staff and colleagues as these resources are beneficial in service-learning planning for in-school and/or virtual instruction for the 20-21 school year.
- FREE VIRTUAL SERVICE LEARNING PD OPPORTUNITY for Educators across Indiana – Oct. 22, 2020 from 4:00-5:00 EST (3:00-4:00PM CST). INSPIRE3 Virtual Service Learning PD
- NEW INSPIRE3 PowerPoint - "Service Learning for Science and STEM Educators K-12 Virtual Workshop" - PPT - Found HERE.
- Content area (LA, Soc. St., Math, Science, PE/Health, FACS, The Arts) PPTs connecting Blended/Virtual Learning with Service-Learning available for K-5 and 6-12. All INSPIRE3 PPT's found HERE.
- Service-Learning Critical Connections to Employability Skills - PPT -Found HERE.
- Utilizing Service-Learning to Support SEL - PPT- Found HERE
- LTG Highlights, lessons, resources on their Oct. 2020 e-newsletter to support these upcoming national initiatives: National Disabilities Month (Oct. 1-31); International Day of Nonviolence (Oct.2);World Food Day (Oct. 16); Election Day (Nov. 3); October lessons/toolkits
- LTG SEL in Community Activity Guides
- LTG Grade level guides for Teaching Social Justice and Building Community
- New Spotlight on Service-Learning Article–Service-Learning BLENDS into VIRTUALLY Everything – Part 2
- generationOn website free service-learning resources for teachers, students, and parents
- INPSIRE3 mini-grants available for 1st semester of 20-21
- Visit our INSPIRE3 page on the IMLEA website HERE or the IASP website HERE and Connect
- INSPIRE3 Program Update
- Contact information for free assistance
- Thank You Very Much for sharing our updates and web page with your staff and colleagues
Free Learning Opportunities & Recognitions (all times listed are EDT)
October 16: Preliminary Activities Start for AMLE20
October 20: Global Maker Day
October 23-25: AMLE Virtual Conference
October 24: Purdue Space Day for Students Grades 3-8, 10-3:30 pm
November 2 : Lilly Creativity Grant Applications Due
2021: IMLEA Conference-Now Virtual!
Indiana eLearning Lab (Must Register to See Live Schedule; Tutorials always available)
That's All for Now!
This edition included a few more activities for students, as we know that more schools are heading to fall break, with many more in coming weeks. We hope that you have the opportunity to truly enjoy the time.
You can access past Monday Minutes/IMLEA newsletters via this link on our webpage, and you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Principals and others: Feel free to forward this newsletter to your staff, and email us at any time.