NEWS, RESOURCES AND LEARNING FOR PANTHER STAFF, 8/14/17
Staff Meeting, Thursday August 17
- Lara and I will be sharing instructions on completing your self assessment and PDPs.
- MTSS survey that will be used by our MTSS team in their training this year.
- Review of Solar Eclipse Activity
Early Release PD, Friday, August 18--Which Continent Will Your Team Focus On? Find out Friday.
PUE Panthers Prepare for Solar Eclipse
On Monday, August 21st the students will participate in the viewing of 2017 Solar Eclipse. Below is more information on access to a student Permission form and resources for event.
The 2017 Eclipse across America will occur on Monday, August 21, 2017. In North Carolina, the partial eclipse will begin around 2:33pm and peak at approximately 2:44pm when the moon obscures 92.7% of the sun. Wake County residents will experience a partial view of the Total Eclipse. Skies will gradually begin to darken as the moon moves into the path of the Sun. Over time, the sky will become increasingly dark and then will gradually become filled with more light as the moon moves out of the path of the sun.
Student and Employee Safety
The health and well-being of Wake County Public School System students and employees is of the utmost importance during this experience. As such, it is important to recognize that it is never safe to look directly at the sun’s rays, even when the sun is partially obscured. That being said, ALL Pleasant Union students that will participate in our Solar Eclipse viewing event on Monday, August 21 MUST have a parent signed approval/waiver form to participate. Staff will also need to sign the waiver form to participate. This permission form will be sent home in this week’s Tuesday Folders. In addition, for Track 3 parents, here is a link to the form that must be signed and returned to their homeroom teacher on Monday, 21st OR scanned and emailed to their teacher for their child to participate in the event.
We look forward to experiencing this rare event but must emphasize that each student MUST HAVE A PARENT SIGNED WAIVER FORM for them to participate in the event. Students without the form will not be allowed to participate in the event.
For those that are tracked out or will not be able to the event be sure to review the following safe viewing instructions. NASA's How to View the Solar Eclipse Safely provides additional information on safety guidelines.
Eclipse Safety Glasses
We have order certified Eclipse glasses and they are scheduled to arrive early this week. They will be put into your boxes Monday, August 21st. Please make sure that there is a permission form for each set of glasses issued. Be sure that you have signed your waiver, too.
The following manufacturers have certified eclipse and hand-held solar viewers that meet the ISO 12312-2 international standards:
● Baader Planetarium (AstroSolar Silver/Gold film only)
● TSE 17
Additional Solar Eclipse Resources
Below are several educational and family friendly activities, maps, images, explanations, and safety measures that may be used to plan a lesson or event at your school:
Mark Your Calendars
Tuesday, August 15
- 8:15 PTA Meeting in the Media Center, Send a team rep.
- 8:00 Global Learning Committee in Heather Shipley's room
Thursday, August 17
- 7:45 Staff Meeting, Be sure to bring your laptops
Friday, August 18
- Early Release. Students will be dismissed at 1:15. Those registered in After School Program will move to the gym after dismissal and conclude at their regular closing time of 6:00 pm.
- PTA Luncheon at 1:30ish
- Staff development-Global Learning 2:10-3:45, Bring your laptop and earbuds
- Track 2 tracks out
Monday, August 21
- 2:30 Solar Eclipse Viewing Event on Soccer Field, Be sure students that have parent signed permission slips are all equipped with glasses. Glasses will be in your boxes for pick up in the morning on Monday, August 21.
Thursday, August 24
- Open House 6-8:00, 1st-5th Grades, Track 4 Great opportunity of parents to find out what your child will be learning this year and how you can help in the classroom and at the school.
- Session 1 6-6:55
- Session 2 7-7:55
- Child Care Available for Kindergarten-5th grade siblings. Sign up here https://goo.gl/forms/94n6O9553exiRMmK2 by Wednesday, August 23 at 12:00 noon. Please note that we will not be able to care for toddlers ages birth to age 4.
- After School Opportunities Vendors will be here to share info about their programs.
- Bam Pow Chow food truck will be available from 5-7:00 pm. For your convenience, the cafeteria will be open for you to sit down and enjoy your dinner before the Open House begins. The menu can be found at the following website: http://www.bampowchow.com/our-menu.html
Thursday, August 31
- Grades 1-5, Tracks 3 & 4 BYOD Info Meeting in Media Center
- Session 1 for Grades 1 & 2 at 6:15-6:45
- Session 2 for Grades 3-5 at 6:45-7:15
Duties for the Week of August 14-August 18, 2017
As always, if you will be out for any of your assigned duties PLEASE ARRANGE FOR A COLLEAGUE TO COVER YOUR DUTY. Touch base with office staff/admin if you can't get coverage.
AM Hallway: Shipley (Help greet parents/students, check with Ms. Person to see what is needed at the visitor sign-in tables or the carpool tag/ transportation table.)
AM Carpool: Bednar (Help Safety Patrol, call for more help if needed, monitor carpool lane)
AM Breakfast: Renfrow ( Work with students regarding lunch numbers, encourage students to eat and get directly to class.)
AM Bus: Lavin (Write down arrival times of buses.)
Lunch Duty: Lavin, Johnson, Bednar, Crum, Renfrow, McEwen, Brown, Narvaez - CHECK CHANGED TIMES BEGINNING THIS WEEK ON THE LUNCH SCHEDULE
(Work with one another to use the "warning" behavior system, train students to pick up trash/sweep, and inform teachers of issues. Update the seating charts in the notebook as needed.)*Shipley, Blocker, Garrett assist Lavin/others for coverage as needed. The office will contact you if necessary. Let the office staff know if help is needed, as well.
PM Hallway: Barber (Check all students for tags in the bus line. If a student does not have a tag, inform Ms. Britt ASAP. )
PM Carpool: Garrett, Narvaez (outside) Bednar, Cooper/Perry, (inside) Hymel (Call carpool numbers. If a parent doesn't have a carpool tag, give them one (Get blank ones and a pen from the office.) Alert parents beginning the next week, they will be required to park and come into the building to get a tag. This includes all grade-levels.)
PM Bus: Lamanna (Call one bus at a time. Write down arrival times. CHECK FOR BUS TAGS ON EACH CHILD'S BOOKBAG. Work with Britt and Barber to trouble-shoot, solve issues.)
**If someone is not available, staff members that are available may be called to assist.**