Oil industry in Nigeria
- The oil industry in Nigeria is the biggest in Africa.
- Provides about 70% to the economy there.
- Produce around two million barrels a day.
- Government owns 60% of oil companies there.
- Government is corrupt and doesn't distribute the money made.
- Thought that 100,000 barrels are stolen daily.
- Several hundred oil spills in last couple years.
- Very little regulations on companies
Oil in the Rivers
The oil spills are so bad that it is contaminating the water that villages use. They have had dead fish washing up on the banks of their rivers. Making them run out of a food source. Also ruined a reliable water source that the small villages in Nigeria