November 6th - November 10th
Tuesday, November 7
- D39 Parent Event, Navigating Social Conflicts, 7-8:30 pm, WJHS
Thursday, November 9
- NO SCHOOL-Parent/Teacher Conferences
Friday, November 10
- NO SCHOOL-Parent/Teacher Conferences
Monday, November 13
- D39 Board of Ed Meeting, 7-9 pm, MEC
Tuesday, November 14
- D39 Parent Event, Growth Mindset, 7-8:30 pm, WJHS
- D39 Education Foundation Meeting, 7-8 pm, MEC
Wednesday, November 15
- General PTO Meeting with Ray Lechner, 9 am, Steam Lab
Monday, November 20 - Friday, November 24
- NO SCHOOL - Thanksgiving Break
Dr. Kick's Corner
- Cold weather is here! Please make sure that your child is dressed with a warm coat, gloves and a hat. When there is snow, your child will need to wear boots and snow pants in order to play in the snow. We have recess unless it is less than ten degrees (including windchill).
- Parent/teacher conferences are one way that your child's classroom teacher communicates with you about your child's progress. Fall conferences are on 11/9-11/10 (also 11/8 for Ms. Hofschield's classes). If you have not signed up for a conference, please refer to previous emails on how to do so.
- I am saddened to say that Samantha Johnson, School Psychologist, will be relocating after Thanksgiving break to California with her husband and son. Sam has served the D39 and Harper community for many years. As soon as I have a replacement, I will update you.
- Tune in to the 11/13 Board of Education meeting at 7:00 PM! A small group of Harper fourth grade students will say the Pledge in Spanish! Thank you Senora Brown for facilitating this!
- How to Raise Resilient Children-12/6 7:00-8:30 at Wilmette Junior High School. Please see the attached flyer.
- Not sure what you’ll do with all the extra Halloween candy? Be sweet and share it with others! Harper will be collecting extra Halloween candy and delivering it to Connections for the Homeless. It is used to motivate and reward clients participating in social services programs. Boxes will be in the school lobby through Tuesday, November 7th.
- The Yearbook Committee wants your Halloween Parade and Party Photos! If you haven't tried the replay it app for uploading photos, it's so easy. Below is a guide on how to set it up. Download the app and give it a try www.replayit.com (password is HarperRocks). Please contact email@example.com with questions.
- Does your child have a November Birthday? Don't forget to sign up here for BIRTHDAY BOOKS! Kids love it and it's a great way to donate a new book to our beautiful library!
- The Green Corner: Your Recycling Questions Answered. All containers (plastic, tin cans, cartons, etc) need to be rinsed to remove food residue before they are recycled in Wilmette. This is because Wilmette does "single stream recycling" so paper, glass, aluminum, plastic all go through the same process together. Dirty food containers contaminate the paper products and ruin whole batches.
- On November 14th, the 1st grade classes will get a chance to experience the Giant Map! Students will become part of the physical geography of the United States as they step onto the colorful 11'x14' base floor map. Students will learn how to "unlock" a map key, locate our neighboring states and countries, recognize weather patterns, and identify the mountainous regions as well as the Central and Great Plains. This Enrichment series is brought to you by iGNITE!
- Additional Enrichment events for the month of November:
2nd, 7th, 14th, 16th, 28th, 30th--Mindfulness Program with Katie Kolbe
13th--All school author visit from Candace Fleming
14th--Giant Maps, 1st Grade
17th--Water Treatment visit for 4th Grade
- On November 9th, "Human Trafficking and Exploitation: Law, Policy, and Restorative Programs" by Elizabeth Melendez Fisher, MA, Hon. Virginia Kendall, Katherine Kafka Walts JD. Event 1 at 12 pm at LUC School of Law, 10th Floor 25 E. Pearson St. in Chicago. Event 2 at 7 PM NTHS, Northfield Campus, Cornog Auditorium7 Happ Rd., Northfield. Free and open to the public. The events will NOT be videotaped. Suitable for ages 16+. For more information and to RSVP for Event 1 go to: www.familyactionnetwork.net.
- On November 13th, 'How to Raise an Adult and Real American: A Memoir,' Julie Lythcott-Haims, MA presenting "Real American: Growing Up Biracial in America." Event #1: 12 pm, LUC School of Law, 10th Fl 25 E. Pearson St. in Chicago. Event #2: 7 pm, Evanston Township High School Auditorium, 1600 Dodge Ave. in Evanston. The evening event will be videotaped. Suitable for ages 12+. For more information and to RSVP for Event 1 please go to www.familyactionnetwork.net.
- On November 16th, "Bringing Mindset, Brain Science, and Creativity to Mathematics Teaching and Learning" by Professor & Author Jo Boaler, Ph.D. Event #1: 4 pm at Skokie School Auditorium 520 Glendale Ave. in Winnetka. Event #2: 7 pm at North Shore Country Day School Auditorium 310 Green Bay Rd. in Winnetka. Free and open to the public. PDs available for educators at both events. Neither event will be videotaped. Suitable for ages 12+.
- On November 28th, "Overcoming Childhood Adversity: Stories of Resilience and Post-Traumatic Growth" by Professor, Psychologist and Author Meg Jay, Ph. D. Evanston Township High School Auditorium, 1600 Dodge Ave. in Evanston. The event will be videotaped. Suitable for ages 12+.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Adriane McKnight via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org