Walker Midde Magnet IB World School
The Year of Gratitude #IBGrateful
2023-2024 Opening Newsletter
July 31st, 2023
Greetings Walker Families,
Welcome to the 2023-24 school year! We look forward to welcoming our students and families back to school. As we move into our Year of Gratitude, we will encourage our school family to practice gratefulness to foster personal growth. We are ready to help students appreciate and return kindness to you, peers, school staff and our greater community.
Our IB Learner Profile Attribute for August is RISK-TAKER.
We approach uncertainty with forethought and determination; we work independently and cooperatively to explore new ideas and innovative strategies. We are resourceful and resilient in the face of challenges and change.
Please take time to read through each area of our opening newsletter below. There is important information that will guide you through the first weeks of school.
Principal/IB Head of School
Important Upcoming Events
8/7 - Access Open House (Families of Students w/ Disabilities), 1:00 - 2:00 pm
8/7 - Year 2/3 (7th/8th Grade) Open House, 3:00 - 4:30
8/7 - Year 1 (6th Grade) Open House, 5:30 - 7:45
8/10 - 1ST DAY OF SCHOOL! 8:30 - 3:25
8/14 - Look for Info on Renting Lockers
8/17 - HOSA Club (Ms. Carey, Rm 203), 3:30-4:30 What Is HOSA? – HOSA
8/18 - $1 Jeans Day (Art Fundraiser)
8/21 - 9/8 - Walker Water Bottle Fundraiser (more info to come)
8/25 - AVID College T-shirt Day
8/25 - 9/8 - PTSA Papa John's Fundraiser (more info to come)
8/28 - 9/4 - Animal Club Candy Bar Fundraiser (more info to come)
8/31 - HOSA Club (Ms. Carey, Rm 203), 3:30-4:30
9/1 - $1 Jeans Day (PTSA Fundraiser)
9/6 - 1st Basketball Games @ Martinez: Girls - 6 pm, Boys - 7pm Online Ticket Sales Only
Administration, School Counselors & ESE Support
AP for Curriculum (all students)
Student Support (Last Names A - La)
AP for Administration, Athletics, Facilities (all students)
Student Support (Last Names Le - Z)
School Counselors (Schedules, Peer Relations, Mental Health)
Student Last Name A - Go - email@example.com
Student Last Name Gr - O - firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Last Name P - Z - email@example.com
ESE Specialist - firstname.lastname@example.org
PTSA Supports our Students & Staff!
Join the Walker PTSA to stay informed, to volunteer, to connect with other caregivers and to help support student programs and activities. Become a member! Join PTSA Here!
We need PTSA Board Members! Nominate or Self-Nominate for a board position HERE.
Wish your student a HAPPY BIRTHDAY on Walker's Marquee HERE!
Order PTSA Spirit Gear HERE.
PTSA Facebook Page
Register to Volunteer!
Our PTSA coordinates all volunteer opportunities. See link below.
Car Line Procedures
Watch AM Drop Off Video: https://youtu.be/9C6SFfDI1xw (all grades dropped off in front circle)
PM Pick Up :
- Year 1(6th Gr) - Picked up on bus ramp
- Year 2/3 (7th/8th gr) - picked up in front circle.
Please see the attachments below for important details on our car line. Safety is our top priority in the car line.
Stay connected through Canvas!
Download the Canvas Student and Canvas Parent Apps on your phone!
Also, See SIMPLIFIED Canvas Log In & Password attachment below. Use CHROME or EDGE when logging in to Canvas.
Log in to Canvas here: https://hcpscanvasproject.azurewebsites.net/
Lockers Coming Soon
Forms & Eligibility for Middle School Sports
The Athletic Department at Hillsborough County Public Schools hosts their Pre-Participation Athletic Forms online at www.PlanetHS.com . This digital platform will allow you and your student(s) to complete and access athletic forms via computer, tablet, or mobile phone. It is HIPAA, COPPA and FERPA compliant.
- Middle school athletic procedural requirements/getting started guide: Student Forms and Eligibility
- How to complete the online process: https://youtu.be/br-L5eNOmhc
Students will not be able to participate in athletic activities, including practices, until this information is submitted and approved online by school staff. Completing the required paperwork does not guarantee making the team but does cover all sports for the entire school year. For assistance with online registration, please use the help/support feature within the program or contact Mr. Lefler @ Henry.email@example.com.
Information on BASKETBALL & VOLLEYBALL tryouts will be on Canvas soon. If you plan to try out, complete online paperwork NOW!
Walker is a "NO CELL PHONE ZONE"
Request for Your Student to Walk/Bike Home from School
- Only students who are within walking distance of the school will be allowed to walk home from Walker's campus.
- Address will be verified and mapped.
- Students who walk home from school will be provided with a lanyard that allows them to leave campus on foot or bicycle. This will be delivered to their homeroom class.
- Submit one form per child.
- Students should pay attention to surroundings (not on electronic devices) while walking or biking.
- Please note that there are no crosswalks, crossing guards or supervision in the roadways near Walker.
Submit request for your student to walk/bike home from Walker Middle School HERE.
Bus Transportation & Carpooling
Carpool Transportation - 2023-2024 School Year
Walker Middle Magnet PTSA hosts the private Facebook group as a courtesy to our Walker families. It is a place for coordinating transportation options for Walker Middle Magnet. To join this group, please visit the private Facebook group Walker Middle Transportation Forum. Be sure to use caution and fully vet the people you carpool with.
Additionally, if you are interested in carpooling for the 2023/2024 school year, please fill out this PTSA Carpooling Form: http://bit.ly/CarpoolConnection23-24. Information gathered from the responses will be made available, allowing access to people in your area.
FREE BREAKFAST & LUNCH @ WALKER
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING SCHOOL MEALS!
- ALL STUDENTS will receive FREE BREAKFAST & FREE LUNCH this year.
- Add money to your student's account for ala carte items HERE.
Walker's Instructional Priorities
School-wide Themes: Literacy and AVID strategies, as well as IB philosophies, will be embedded into all content area instruction.
Differentiation Based on Knowledge of Students: Creative practices, teacher-led small group structures and knowledge of students’ social/emotional and academic strengths, needs and progress will serve as a catalyst for individualizing teaching and learning.
School Safety & Security
- We practice our evacuation and active assailant drills monthly, and our shelter in place drills twice during the year.
- All building perimeter gates and interior/exterior doors remain closed and locked at all times. During AM arrival, open gates are monitored by a staff member.
- We have 14 security cameras, which allows our School Resource Officer and school staff to better monitor the safety of our campus.
- All staff wear an GPS/Automated Centegix badge that allows them to engage a lock down from any area of the school.
- We are a closed campus. This means that anyone visiting campus must sign in through the main office. Parents are not permitted to walk students to classrooms.