Paradise (Hog) Island lighthouse
The reason why Paradise island used to be called Hog island is because people raised and slaughtered wild pigs.
The lighthouse was called "Hog Island lighthouse" because the Island it is on (now known as Paradise Island) was originally called Hog island. The lighthouse is at the western tip of the island and was constructed in 1817. It marks the entrance to the harbor and is the oldest and most known lighthouse in the Bahamas. It is also the oldest surviving lighthouse in the west indies. The lighthouse is in bad conditions, with the government agencies blaming each other for it's problems and neglect.
Who made it?
Alexander McBride made the plans in 1816 and James Wood submitted them, and they were accepted.
The lighthouse marks the tip of Paradise Island and the Harbor. The light flashes white when it is okay for ships to come, and it flashes red when the conditions are dangerous. It is an important staple in guiding cruise ships to get safely to the port.
*blinks every 5 seconds
*changed from hog island to paradise island because hog island was not appealing to tourists
*lit for the first time in 1817