September 6, 2021
Topics Included in this Newsletter
- Note from Mrs. Spencer
- Mark Your Calendars, Bears!
- SBMS Back to School Night: September 23rd
- SBMS COVID Testing Program
- Tutorial Schedule Update for SBMS Website, In Progress!
- Need Help Using the SBISD itsLearning Parent Portal?
- Parent U for 6th-12th Grade Families- Register Now!
- Information from Nurse Mulvey for 6th Grade Parents
- SBMS Yearbook Information
- SBMS PTA Information for 2021-2022
Message from Mrs. Spencer
Happy Labor Day, Bears! I hope that you are resting and enjoying a lovely weekend (despite the crazy thunder that occurred early this morning!). It was so great to see everyone at the Parent Coffees this past week. We are so lucky to be part of such a special community! A few reminders for the week:
- COVID Testing at SBMS: Please consider signing up for the COVID testing at SBMS. Ms. Mulvey is able to test students with symptoms at school. Forms were sent out last week or are posted in the link within the article below.
- Sick Kiddos Reminder: As a reminder, please do NOT send a child with symptoms to school, but rather work with your pediatrician to determine if he or she is able to return to school. Lots of viruses and illnesses out there beyond COVID-19, let's stop the spread of those, too.
- Course Syllabi and Tutoring Schedules: We are working through publishing a list of tutoring opportunities and where to find course syllabi. I will update you on both of those things in next week's Bear Bulletin!
- Chromebook Paperwork: We still have students whose families have not completed the Loaner Device Agreement form and Reasonable Use Policies required for student use of chromebooks. Please note that students who do not have this paperwork on file may not receive a device or their currently deployed device may cease working. Students missing this paperwork were given hard copies of the forms last week during device deployment, or the week prior. Please look for a call out from SBISD if your child is one of the students missing their paperwork. We would like every student to be able to access instructional content and resources on technology.
Have a great rest of your Monday! Let's make next week a great week!
Stefanie Spencer, Principal
Mark Your Calendars, Bears!
Mark your calendars for a few events, Bears:
- MAP Testing: Each year, SBISD administers the MAP assessment to students at least twice a year. We will begin the fall administration soon. Students need to bring their fully charged devices and do their best on the assessments. Results guide us on growth made by students and strengths and opportunities for teachers to use in planning. Testing will occur in each subject area classroom on the following dates: Math: 9/7 and 9/8; Science: 9/9 and 9/10.
- September 23rd at 6 p.m.: Back to School Night for SBMS: Travel your child's schedule, learn about what they will be learning this school year and hear tips for success from your child's teacher. Join us at the end of the evening for a meet and greet for new and returning families- meet the moms and dads of your student's new friends and meet some new friends for yourself, as well! Stay tuned for further details!
Additional calendar tools:
- SBMS Google Calendars: SBMS uses a few calendars to help parents stay informed on events at school. The SBMS Public Calendar covers all academic and band/fine arts activities. The SBMS Athletics Activities Calendar covers the different athletic games we offer throughout the year. Please note neither calendar is up to date as of yet. Once game schedules are set by the district and other dates finalized by SBMS in relationship to Fine Arts, we will post these to the calendar.
SBMS Back to School Night: September 23rd
Traditionally at SBMS, parents join us for a Back to School night whereby they follow their student's schedules briefly for an evening receiving helpful hints and curriculum information from each of their child's teachers. Students take the night off and allow their parents to do this independent of them.
This year will run the same! Meet us in the auditorium at 5:30 p.m. for General PTA meeting and then a brief introduction and campus overview from SBMS Administration. Once this phase is concluded you may travel the halls, walking the same routes your children walk to class each day (no running, Bears!)! We will make sure our teachers share where they house their syllabi and have copies ready for you to pick up if you need another from the busy back to school paperwork season!
See you on the 23rd, Bears!
SBMS COVID Testing Program
Last week, I sent out information related to our SBMS COVID testing program that we began on September 1st. If your child develops symptoms while at school (please do not send him or her with symptoms, but rather keep them home), Ms. Mulvey is able to administer a COVID test for those children for whom we have written consent. If you missed the email with the documents, you may access the informational flyer and the consent form here. Please print and send in with your student to give to the front office or you may email it to email@example.com.
SBISD has several resources for parents who are new to supporting a child who is using itsLearning. We will have a session on itsLearning for parents during Back to School Night, but in the meantime, you may click on the link below for to get you started:
If the Quick Start Guide link gives you trouble, I have downloaded the pdf to our google folder for parents. Click here for access.
Tutoring Opportunities Posted to SBMS Website: COMING SOON!
SBISD Parent U for 6th-12th Grade Parents: Sept. 11th
Parent U: Planning for the Future
For 6th-12th grade students and families
Saturday, September 11
9:00 – 10:50 am via Zoom
English registration - https://conta.cc/3yjL7Nc
Spanish registration - https://conta.cc/38d5Fwc
KickUp Link for SBISD Employees - https://pulse.kickup.co/events/browse/srLnDfpd2yscBHpJUAnMKD
Participants will be able to choose from the following topics:
· Tips and Tools for Successful College Applications and Planning
· College Representative Panel
· Study Skills and College Planning for Middle School Students
· Advanced Courses
· Career Exploration and Maximizing College Resumes
· GPA and Class Ranking
· Financial Award Letters
· Selective College Admissions and Many More!
Visit the Parent U site for more info: www.springbranchisd.com/parentu
Questions? Contact Betsa Beyk at 713-251-2286 or firstname.lastname@example.org
6th Grade Parents: A Word From Nurse Mulvey
6th grade Parents:
If your child gets any new vaccines this school year please turn in a copy to the nurse. This will help prevent any delay in enrollment for 7th grade.
All volunteers must register online through the SBISD website every year and pass a criminal background check. Volunteers approved during the previous school year may volunteer through September 30 of the current school year. At that time, the system will reset and all volunteers must re-register before being allowed on campus. We strongly encourage all volunteers to register between July 1 and September 30.
Please allow 8-10 days for the criminal background check process to occur. Volunteers who provide a valid email address on their application will receive an automatic notification if approved to begin your service. Once you receive this e-mail, please either contact the program or campus where you want to provide support. A list of those contacts can be found here.
All volunteers must bring a valid, government issued photo ID when they visit or volunteer on campus to have it scanned into the Raptor6 system. Each time you are on campus thereafter, SBISD requires volunteers and visitors to check-in at the front office and wear a Raptor6 issued name badge.
Thank you for recognizing that the safety of our schools, our students and our volunteers is of the utmost importance!
By applying to be an SBISD volunteer, you agree to abide by the SBISD Volunteer Ethics and Guidelines.
SBMS 2021-22 Yearbook!
Yearbooks are now on sale for $55! Buy one here or go to tinyurl.com/sbmsyearbook . Below is the list of yearbook deadlines. Buy your book ASAP before the price increases on Friday, October 1!
Also, if you have any great photos that could go in the yearbook (the staff needs good photos from the summer AND first day/week of school pics!) the yearbook staff would love those as well. You can upload photos for the yearbook staff using the Balfour Imageshare app on your phone. Instructions to log in can be found on the flyer. Note: the project number is 209143 and there is NO upload code. You may also send any photos for the yearbook staff to Sara Boyle, email@example.com. Contact Sara Boyle, firstname.lastname@example.org with any other questions about the yearbook!
October 1, 2021: Yearbook price increases to $60
January 1, 2022: Yearbook price increases to $65
January 31, 2022: Last day to buy and complete an AD/TRIBUTE for your student
March 4, 2022: Last day to PERSONALIZE yearbook (name stamp, activity icon)
March 15, 2022: Last day to send in yearbook photos for inclusion
Journalism Teacher, Yearbook and Newspaper Adviser
Spring Branch Middle School
Buy a 2021/2022 yearbook here!
A Word from the SBMS PTA
If you have any questions or want to get involved, below are the PTA Executive Board contact details:
- President: Stephanie Pancioli (email@example.com)
- VP Long Range Planning: Jen Moss (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- VP Fundraising: Amy Reeves (email@example.com)
- VP Fundraising: Hilary Scarborough (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- VP Communications: Lorena Guilanshah (email@example.com)
- Treasurer: Lyn Greenwood (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Secretary: Molly Ferguson (email@example.com)
- Community Relations: Joy McCormack (Mccormackjoy@hotmail.com)
- Parliamentarian: Kelly Murphy (Kelmurph521@gmail.com)