November 25, 2019
From the Desk of Dr. Steve Yanni...
Reflections on American Education Week - American Education Week was November 18-22, 2019, and presented all Americans with a wonderful opportunity to celebrate public education and to honor individuals who are making a difference in ensuring that every child receives a quality education. We had hundreds of visitors who came to our schools who witnessed what we do in action! We truly thank our entire, dedicated community who is tremendously supportive of public education.
UDHS Mini-Thon - Congratulations to all of the students who made the UDHS Mini-Thon a success. In total $53,599.31 was raised. Kudos to all!
A Fond Farewell - This evening is the last Legislative Meeting for several of our School Board Members. I would like to take this time to acknowledge them for their service to our students and staff, to our District, and to our community.
- Ms. Vanessa Good - Ms. Good has served on the Board for twelve years. Ms. Good has served in multiple capacities, most recently chairing the Finance Committee. Under her leadership as Chair of the Finance Committee, the Board has worked diligently to approve educationally sound and fiscally sound budgets.
- Dr. Joan Ludwig - Dr. Joan Ludwig has served on the Board for eight years. During her tenure she has served as the Vice President and has served on several committees, most recently chairing the Education Committee. Restructuring efforts at UDHS and SRMS and the implementation of several instructional programs have occurred under her leadership.
- Dr. Michael Resnick rejoined the Board of School Directors after some time away from Board activities. Over the last few months, Dr. Resnick has used his previous Board experience on several committees, and we thank him for assuming the seat vacated by Dr. Robert Kim.
- Ms. Sara Johnson Rothman - Ms. Rothman has served on the Board for almost six years. Her roles have included serving as the Vice President, serving on multiple committees, and chairing the Policy Committee. In her role as the Chair of the Policy Committee, Ms. Rothman has facilitated the renewal and development of countless policies. Of particular note is the policy work Ms. Rothman has done to ensure inclusion, anti-discrimination, and acceptance of all students.
Countless Years of Experience - Tonight we will honor numerous staff members who have reached milestones in their careers here in the District. All of these folks have worked to improve the lives of our students, and we truly appreciate the time and talents they share with all of Upper Dublin. Click here to see a full list of staff members being recognized this evening.
School Year 20-21 Calendar - This evening I am asking the Board to approve the School Year 20-21 calendar. There are a few notable facets of the calendar:
- Students will start school after Labor Day, despite the lateness of the holiday.
- There are fewer early dismissal next year, with most early dismissal focused on parent/guardian conferences and professional learning for staff.
- We are utilizing four (4) Act 80 days in next year's calendar. Those are professional learning days for staff.
- Graduation will be held on Wednesday, June 9, 2021. The rain date is June 10, 2021. If we experience inclement weather on both days, the ceremony will be held indoors. The second rain date, June 14, 2021, will be removed from the calendar.
Act 93 Agreement - This evening the Board will take action to approve the Act 93 (administrative) compensation plan. The Act 93 agreement covers Directors, Principals, Assistant Principals, and Supervisors, and School Psychologists.
Construction Progress - Progress continues at the Sandy Run Middle School site. Footers for the classroom wing of the building are being poured, and the site changes almost daily. Please stay tuned to our Building Our Future site to stay informed about the progress being made at the construction site.
Join Us for Upcoming Events - Please check out our District calendar.
Stay Tuned - Please remember that there are multiple ways to stay up to date with what is happening in the Upper Dublin School District. Check out our website, my Superintendent's blog, and eNotifications. Please do not forget to like our page on Facebook and to follow us on Twitter.