RRSPs for ESL E
Reading, Research, Supported Opinion Writing & Presentation
It's an investment in your future!
Modified timetable for Dec 2017/Jan 2018
- Fri Dec 15: Reading
- Mon Dec 18: Reading
- (Tue Dec 19: Databases - with Mr. Stavrou in class)
- Wed Dec 20: cont'd Reading & Databases
- Thurs Dec 21: essay overview
- Fri Dec 22: essay point form
- in January you will be working with Mr. Stavrou on the presentation
Dec 15 & 18Select one of the following topics:
- Using Wikipedia in education (under "Technology")
- Cell phone searches (under "Citizen's Rights")
- Child labour (under "Human Rights")
- Year-round schooling (under "Schools and Education")
- Video Games (under "Media")
Go to the Canadian Points of View Database on the library website or through BYOD. Read the Overview, Point, and Counterpoint essays for that topic. For each essay
- paraphrase the thesis
- summarize each paragraph in one sentence. Make sure you include the argument and one detail
More reading + *gasp!* thinking
Dec 19 & 20
What do you think about the topic? Write out your working thesis (your personal opinion).
Using the Explora database, find one more essay or article which supports your point of view. Identify the thesis and arguments. Don't just pick the first article you find. You will have to skim and scan quite a few articles to find the one which is best for you. If you can't decide on one article, pick two.
Canadian periodicals: newspapers & magazines
Supported Opinion Writing
Getting your ideas down
Dec 21 & 22Write a supported opinion essay
Access the above documents by logging into your Peel gmail account:
- Password: your log in password to a school computer
Looking for a literary essay? Here's a resource to find an example.
Use a template to plan your work, such as the outline above.
What I am Looking For
- interesting hook (introduction)
- clear thesis (it's an opinion)
- three arguments and examples (stories?)
- solid conclusion calling for action
- clear voice
- eye contact
- confident body language
Tax-deferred savings: See those rising curves in stockbroker Barnaby Ross's chart? They track the path your savings could take if you put a little aside every year in an RRSP.. Photograph. Encyclopædia Britannica ImageQuest. Web. 3 Dec 2015.
Reading. Photography. Encyclopædia Britannica ImageQuest. Web. 3 Dec 2015.
Research. Photography. Encyclopædia Britannica ImageQuest. Web. 3 Dec 2015.
Proper Writing. Photography. Encyclopædia Britannica ImageQuest. Web. 3 Dec 2015.
Class presentation. Photography. Encyclopædia Britannica ImageQuest. Web. 3 Dec 2015.