Term 3 Week 3 Monday 31st July 2023
Term three has started with lots of interesting learning and activities going on at school.
It was fantastic to see our students and families pull together and raise $505 for Red Nose day. Days like this demonstrate our school Motto of “Ki Te Ako me te Mahi - To Learn and Serve”.
We have also enjoyed the recent good weather with our Matariki planting day finally going ahead last week. Our students worked in their tuakana teina groups to add more plants to the top shelter belt. If you have a few spare minutes pop up and see how everything is going. In a few years it is going to look amazing.
It was great meeting up with many of you on parent-teacher conference night last week. I enjoyed hearing your input into what’s going well at school for you and your children. I also heard a lot about wet farms and workplaces being a challenge this year.
Last week we enjoyed the local high schools visiting our year 8’s to promote their schools and give our students an idea of what high school is going to be like. If you need more information for your year 8 student we suggest going to the open evenings and getting in contact with the high schools as they are always very willing to help.
Barbie Reynolds our Learning Support Coordinator has won the full-time SENCO position at Excellere College. Barbie has done a fantastic job at helping our students with extra learning and behaviour needs over the last 18 months. We and the other 4 rural schools in our area will very much miss her. A replacement will be announced towards the end of this term.
You may have noticed some running repairs being made to our septic pump in the last week. We have had ongoing challenges with our very old outdated system and are looking forward to a whole new one at the end of the year that will cater for our growing school. A big thank you to Pete our caretaker and Robbie Kokich for their work. It is not the nicest place to have your head down!!
Slippery decks. Please be mindful of our very slippery decks. We have laid new anti-slip matting by the pool and behind the whanau room. With all the wet weather it has been a challenge to get these areas dried out.
Nga mihi nui
School Vision Statement
Thank you to those parents who voted on our new vision statement on parent interview night.
When adding up the students, teachers, BOT and parent votes and suggestions, we have settled on the new vision. Growing Together, Learning Forever.
We feel this new vision is future focussed and reflects students who are lifelong learners and grow together in their relationships and learning. It also links to our positive physical and social environment here at Kokopu.
Moving forward we will be using the new vision to set our strategic planning, and updating/modernising our school logo and signage around the school.
Kokopu Cross Country Competition
Cross country practice is taking place every day. Due to the very wet grounds, it is a good idea to have some spare clothes and a towel in your child’s bag in case they slip over.
Next week on Thursday 10th August we will hold our school cross country competition. Start time will be at 9.30am and parents are welcome to come and support the children. More information will be sent home next week.
Year 7 and 8 Tech Classes
Technology classes at Manaia View School started today for this term. Please ensure your child is at school well before 9am to catch the bus into Manaia View School. Thank you.
Daffodil Day 31st August 2023
We are supporting Daffodil Day this year to support all New Zealander's who are impacted by cancer. Please go to our fundraising page to donate...details below.
Fundraising page name: Kokopu School
Fundraising page URL: https://daffodilday.org.nz/k-school
Still Seeking an After School Carer
We desperately need an after school care assistant. We need to employ a casual carer to assist Loida on days when our numbers are over 10 children. If you are flexible with your days and can help out from 3pm to 5pm on the odd weekday, please contact the school office.
Ag Day 14th October 2023
This year we are including Chickens in our Ag Day judging. For those who have ordered chickens please be ready to pick them up here at school on Wednesday 9th August.
We have a new Ag Day information website ready to go. You can see it at this address. www.sites.google.com/kokopu.school.nz/agday
If you would like to get involved in helping with Ag Day, especially the animal judging please let us know. We have secured a goat judge but need someone for the lambs and calves please. We would love your input into the website and judging criteria and helping to find judges.
If you are interested in having an Ag Day animal but don’t know where start, drop into the office and we can get you started. A good site to visit for information on raising calves is https://www.lic.co.nz/about/supporting-our-industry/calf-club/
Friday Assembly. On Friday afternoon we have a sharing assembly at 2.30pm for the whole school. Parents are welcome to come along and see what the children have to share.
School Office. Vicki is in the office on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Bexs is in the office on Wednesday and Friday mornings until 11.35am.
Drink Bottles. Our water issues have be rectified but it would be good to send your child with a drink bottle full of water each day.
Carpark and gate. Please come to the gate in the carpark to collect your children at the end of the day. We do not want children walking through the carpark without an adult as it is unsafe with the amount of cars and limited parking. We have a teacher on duty at the gate each day to supervise. Can we ask parents and visitors to make sure they close the gates if you use them? We have a few children that may be prone to walking out an open gate. Thank you. Please don't park by the entrance gate or teachers carpark area. Also please avoid parking by the letterbox at the front of the school.
- Absences. A reminder that it is important to contact the school before 9.30am when your child will be absent. You can either phone, email or let us know via our Skool Loop app. We need to know where your children are so we know they are safe and can mark them correctly on the roll. See details in this newsletter on how to download our Skool Loop App.
- Iceblock Sales. Ice Blocks are for sale again to raise funds for the school. Many children who come to school with $2 like to buy their friend an ice block. Please could you send a note to say they are allowed to do this? The Room 6 children do ask but a note would be easier for them.
- Term Dates 2023. Term 1 .. 02/02— 06/04 Term 2 .. 24/04— 30/06 Term 3 .. 17/07— 22/09 .. Term 4 09/10— 15/12
Sushi is available to order on Thursday again.
Term 3 Begins 17 July 2023
- 31 July – Year 7 and 8 Tech starts
- 7 August - Board of Trustees Meeting
- 10 August – Kokopu Cross Country Competition
- 11 August - Youth Summit
- 18 August – Te Horo Taniwha Cross Country Challenge
- 21 August to 9 October - Anna Boaz away, Rhonda Sparrow teaching Room 2
- 25 August - Kokopu Speech Competition
- 30 August - WPSSA Cross Country
- 8 September - Country Meal at Mangakahia Sports Complex, Kokopu School hosting
- 18 September - Production Practice at Church Unlimited, Regent, Whangarei
- 19 September - Production Performance
- 20 September - Mangakahia Lions Speech Contest 7pm at Mangakahia Sports Complex
- 21 September - House Day Competition
Term 3 Ends 22 September 2023
Term 4 Begins 9 October 2023
- 14 October - Kokopu Ag Day (Saturday)
- 2 November - Calf Club Central Day
- ?? November - Poroti Athletics
- 28 to 30 November - Room 4 camp to Russell Top 10 Holiday Park
- 7 to 8 December - Room 1 and 2 Camp Manaia Baptist Camp, Taurikura
School Policies and Procedures Schooldocs
Tauraroa Area School
Open day at TAS is Friday 4th August. Students were sent home with an information leaflet and they must be registered to attend this open day.
Whangarei Boys High School Enrolment Dates
- Deans visits to feeder schools: 18th, 19th, 20th , 21st & 24th July
- Y8 Open Evening: Thursday 3rd August - from 4.30pm
- Y8 Interviews: Wednesday 9th and Thursday 10th August - (9am - 5pm)
- Y8 Catch Up Interview Day: Thursday 2nd November - (9am - 5pm)