Mrs. Lyons's Newsletter
December 1-5, 2014
Mark Your Calendar:
An upcoming science and literacy experiment will require two household ingredients: shaving cream and baking soda. If you would like to provide one of these items by this Friday, that would be fantastic. Boys can bring a can of shaving cream. Girls can bring a box of baking soda. Cheap, generic brands are fine.
December 10: December Book Orders are due.
December 11: Stagecoach Family Night at 5:30
December 18: Christmas Party and Early Dismissal at 2:00
- If you'd like to send stocking stuffers (like pencils, peanut-free candies, erasers, etc.), we will pass them out at the party.
December 19: Early Dismissal at 2:00
December 22 through January 2: Christmas Break
January 5: Students return to school.
- Spelling: We will begin working on new words this week. Students will be given a copy to practice at home.
- Reading: Students will be given a new Home Reading Log for this week which will be due back to class next Monday.
- Writing: Students will begin creating a collection of writings for a Holiday Scrapbook. It will contain a variety of types of writing, including narratives, poetry, and informational essays.
- Math: We will continuing working on multi-digit multiplication using a variety of strategies, but focusing on using the standard algorithm. Students can now log on to www.frontrowed.com to practice their math skills. See the link below and use the class code vyinv5.
Classroom Christmas Tree
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!
One of our new reading stations allows students to read e-books on Kindles.
Students can log on to tumblebooks.com or mycapstonelibrary.com at school and at home to read books online. See the links below for log-in information.