PBIS Professional Development 2015-16
PBIS Train the Trainer Sessions
Ohio’s School-wide Positive Behavior Support and Interventions (SW-PBIS) is a framework for creating safe and orderly learning environments in schools, while improving the social-emotional outcomes for students. This intense two-day training will provide participants with in-depth knowledge of the key concepts of Ohio’s PBIS model as well as strategies for implementation. A variety of text and digital resources will be shared. The training will emphasize:
- Foundations of the Positive Behavior Interventions & Supports (PBIS) framework
- Establishing and teaching school-wide behavioral expectations
- Encouraging and acknowledging desired behaviors
- Best practices in responding to problem behavior
- Collecting and using behavioral data to support decision making
- Strategies to support school wide implementation
Upon completion of the two-day session, participants will be certified to train educators in their district or school.
PBIS Train the Trainer Session Dates
- November 5& 6, 2015 at Center Middle School, Boardman Local School District
- March 3 & 4, 2016 at the Trumbull County Educational Service Center
- 8:00 A.M. Sign In
- 8:30 A.M. Session Start
- 11:30 A.M. - 12:30 P.M. Lunch on Your Own
- 3:00 P.M. Session End
PBIS Series - Sessions for Building/District Teams 8:30 - 11:30 AM
The following trainings are designed for preschool through grade 12 educators who are currently implementing a PBIS framework at the building and/or district levels. PBIS team members could include but are not limited to district/building administrators, general education teachers, related service providers, and others who will provide training in their district or school.
The 6-part series is designed to assist building-level and/or district-level PBIS teams with teaching behavioral expectations across all settings, while developing clear school-wide expectations. The series will be comprised of the following topics:
- October 14, 2015 – Establishing School-Wide Expectations (MCESC)
- November 11, 2015 – Digging Deeper with Data Collection and Analysis (MCCTC)
- December 9, 2015 – Behavior Must Be Taught**(Boardman Center Middle School - Small Auditorium)
- January 13, 2016 – Brain and Behavior Connections (MCCTC)
- February 17, 2016 – Discouraging Inappropriate Behaviors** (MCCTC)
- March 16, 2016 – Encouraging Appropriate Behaviors (MCCTC)
- May 20, 2016 - Wrap Up / Culminating Experience (Center Middle School)
MCESC - Mahoning County ESC
MCCTC - Mahoning County Career and Technical Center
- 8:00 A.M. Sign In
- 8:30 A.M. Session Start
- 11:30 A.M. Session End
Click here to access the PBIS Agreement. Once completed, feel free to email to one of the consultants, below, or bring it to a PD.
**PBIS Region 5 Network Meetings
- December 9, 2015 (Mahoning County ESC - Room B8)
- February 17, 2015
Office (330) 965-7828 x1014
Office (330) 965-7828 x1023
What is PBIS?
Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports, also called Positive Behavior Supports (PBS), is a broad range of systemic and individualized strategies for achieving important social and learning outcomes in school communities while preventing problem behavior. The key attributes of PBIS include preventive activities, data-based decision making, and a problem solving orientation (Horner, 2000; Lewis & Sugai, 1999; Sugai et.al., 2000; Weigle, 1997).
PBIS works within a tiered response to intervention framework (multi tiered systems of support). PBIS focuses on the positive, is proactive, and provides system level supports. PBIS is a general education initiative, supporting all children and youth, valuing and respecting families, establishing clarity in direction, including social skills in education and considering emotional impacts on students.
PBIS Teams Culminating Experience
Friday, May 20th, 9am-12pm
7410 Market Street
It's time to celebrate the successes within each building, learning from the collective triumphs and mishaps of each team. This final PBIS Series PD will give teams an opportunity to share what they have accomplished this year, ask questions of the learning community, and receive feedback for future implementation. For details regarding the presentation requirements, please click here. Registration will be in STARS.
In order to prepare for this event, we need to know a bit more information from each team. Each team (building level) should complete the following form by Monday May 2, 2016. (Please note, lack of participation / interest via this form may result in event cancellation.)
This culminating Event is for established PBIS teams only.
- 8:30 Sign In
- 9:00 Session Start
- 9:30 - 11:30 Team Presentations
- 12:00 Session End