Be Kind, Be Helpful, Work Hard
BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT
Wednesday, September 9th
6th Grade Live Zoom Q & A 6:00 - 6:20 - Meeting ID: https://mdusd.zoom.us/j/83094729601
7th Grade Live Zoom Q & A 6:20 - 6:40 - Meeting ID: https://mdusd.zoom.us/j/88515172703
8th Grade Live Zoom Q & A 6:40 - 7:00 - Meeting ID: https://mdusd.zoom.us/j/82639883429
- Preview the individual teachers' presentation - available Tuesday evening on our website.
- Draft any questions that you may have.
- Ensure that you have Zoom set up on your computer or personal device.
- Join the appropriate Zoom meeting(s) links above.
- You will be muted on entry but are welcome to ask questions using the chat box.
- Any individual questions or issues, please contact the teacher directly.
From our Student Support Team
Conversations About Race, Equity & Beyond
It is important to us at Pleasant Hill Middle to support and embrace the diversity of our student population and foster a positive school climate that promotes student belonging. One way we’ve decided to do that this year is with a program of lessons we’ve developed titled “Conversations About Race, Equity & Beyond.” Once a month, lessons will be delivered through the history department that devotes time for staff and students to participate in reflection and conversation about their own unique identity and their thoughts and beliefs about what is going on in the world around them.
Lessons developed thus far include: Identity, Values & Culture, Understanding Perspective, Equity, Experiences of Race & Racism and What is the Black Lives Matter Movement. Lessons we plan to develop include: Working Through Conflict, Empathizing with Others, Addressing Biases and Stereotypes.
We know that many of our students are bombarded with messages about these topics in places such as social media, the news and within peer conversations. Our goal is to give them a structured place to think critically about the messages, not be afraid of them and develop their own opinions.
If for any reason you do not want your child to participate in these monthly lessons, please inform their history teacher. They will not be penalized for sitting out of that class period and assignment.
Many families have been curious on how attendance and engagement are being documented during this time of distance learning. At this point, ALL students should be attending daily live instruction and completing the reinforcing lessons. The key below explains the levels.
- P = If a student is present during "live" instruction, small group or office hours.
- A = If a student is not present during "live" instruction, small group or office hours.
- 6= Student participated in speech, OT, PT, RSP, therapy, counseling
- 4= Student turned in an assignment, completed an assignment, submitted something online
- 3= There was a two way communication with the teacher from the Student/Family by email, phone or online.
We at Pleasant Hill Middle School always try to do "what is best for students". It is the key question in our decision making and at the center of our work. We acknowledge that Middle School is at once, an exciting and adventurous time but also one of change and uncertainty. To support our students, especially in this time of distance learning, our Student Support team has been producing videos on a range of topics. Please see the link below.