Meeting Highlights - August 28, 2017
Bond Construction Update
Executive Administrator for Facilities Development Dick Steinbrugge said the District has received full occupancy for all spaces in the high school except the auditorium. The auditorium won't be finished until mid-October. At the peak of construction, more than 500 workers were on the site daily. Hoffman Construction will exceed more than one million work hours before the project is complete.
Sato Elementary School is substantially complete, and underwent final inspections the week of August 28. Teachers have moved in. The District worked closely with Clean Water Services to ensure the sewer line extension to the school was completed in time for the start of school.
The District is working very closely with the City of Beaverton and various partners, to plan for the first day of school at Vose Elementary. The school is working with the Public Safety and Risk Management Departments, as well as Beaverton Police, to make sure students can get to school safely through the ongoing construction on Denney Road. Crews will continue to work on the fields and covered play area in September.
Facilities Development has also developed an interactive map on the summer's bond projects.
- Safe Routes to School
- Youth Sports Development Programs
- Concerns about development in North Bethany
- Health concerns due to idling cars
Individual School Board Member Comments
- Board Member Susan Greenberg appreciated the bus tour of Portland as part of the Equity Seminar Series. The tour explored the history of hidden racism in the metro area. She also spent some time meeting with principals in her newly assigned schools.
- Board Member LeeAnn Larsen attended the National School Boards Association's leadership conference in Chicago. Two main topics at the conference were equity and school choice. LeeAnn said she was pleased that the Beaverton School District provides a variety of programs.
- Board Vice Chair Becky Tymchuk visited her newly assigned schools, toured the campuses and met with principals. She also attended the very first Mountainside High School staff meeting.
- Board Chair Anne Bryan thanked Board Members for meeting with their new schools.
Directors: Anne Bryan (Chair), Becky Tymchuk (Vice Chair), Tom Colett,
Susan Greenberg, LeeAnn Larsen, Eric Simpson, Donna Tyner
Beaverton School District
The Beaverton School District recognizes the diversity and worth of all individuals and groups. It is the policy of the Beaverton School District that there will be no discrimination or harassment of individuals or groups based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, marital status, age, veterans status, genetic information or disability in any education programs, activities or employment.