MoASSP Messenger November 9, 2018
Veterans Day 2018...background is Smith Cotton HS Fieldhouse
Update From the Executive Director
Doug and I continue to travel throughout Missouri. We were in St. Louis last week and Kansas City, St. Joe, and Sedalia this week. We enjoy connecting with middle level and high school principals around this great state, highlighting “best and next” practices of school leadership, teaching, and learning. Great regional meetings in Northwest, GKC, and Central rounded out our travels this week. Visit our twitter feed to find out which schools we visited this week. Next week’s Messenger, will further highlight our school visits.
"Only in America"
Brooks and Dunn hit song, “Only in America”..., describes this week with the elections on Tuesday and Veterans Day celebrations occurring in schools and communities throughout our great country today.
The votes are in and hopefully, the campaign ads are out at least for a while. With strong emotions on all sides, I remain optimistic that our elected officials can solve problems versus scoring political points. We had a lot of headlines when we woke up Wednesday morning with some changes here in the Show-Me State. MoASSP is one of ten associations that belong to the Missouri School Administrators Coalition. The Coalition didn’t take any positions on ballot measures. However, many times there is a cascade of consequences that could impact schools and the youth we serve. One of the keywords that describes what we (MoASSP) do is “advocate”. For the first time, MoASSP has a systematic, statewide vehicle to help us advocate for our positions. Go to our newly designed website, moassp.org on the home page and look for “Sign Up for the MoASSP Action Center.” Currently, we are second in the nation with the number of principal advocates...only behind Illinois. By signing up, our principal voice is stronger in Jefferson City and Washington DC. Sign up today.
Value Added Benefits
MoASSP is about ready to announce some exciting news for our membership, spouses, and dependents. Benefits, such as discount dining, travel, and supplemental insurance at special group rates along with numerous merchant discounts will be provided to MoASSP members, spouses, and dependents. These benefits will also be available to retired administrators who have a retired membership or lifetime retired membership. Stay tuned.
Help me welcome five new MoASSP members. See the list below.
High School Football Tonight
Upcoming Regional Meetings
We have three regional meetings next week. Northeast, Southeast, and GKC Principal Roundtable will all be meeting. Check the MoASSP website for details. As your schedule permits, attend your regional meetings. They provide a great way to learn, network, as well as lean on each other.
Whether you are aspiring, emerging, developing, or transformational, wherever you are on the “Principal’s Journey”, it really is a “matter of principal(ple).” Clark Mershon
Veterans Day 2018
Help Welcome Our Newest MoASSP Members
Total MoASSP Membership is now 1,194. If you see inaccurate information, please email Katy. Thanks for helping us keep our database up to date.
- Amy Branson Parkway South MS email@example.com Principal SL
- Toby McQuerrey Parkway South MS firstname.lastname@example.org Assistant Principal SL
- Erica Rogers Parkway South MS email@example.com Assistant Principal SL
- Emily McCown Rockwood Summit HS firstname.lastname@example.org Principal SL
- Adam Hill Norwood HS email@example.com Principal SW
MoASSP Board of Directors
- NASSP Coordinator for Missouri: John Faulkenberry, Lee's Summit HS
- MoASSP President: Ed Gettemeier, Hardin MS
- MoASSP President-Elect: Marc Spunaugle, Lincoln HS
- MoASSP Past President: Chris Hoehne, Ste. Genevieve HS
- MoASSP Treasurer: Kathryn Greer, Francis Howell North HS
- At-Large Non-Public: Valerie Todd, St. Mary's HS
- At-Large Assistant Principal: Jennifer Strauser, Eureka HS
- At-Large Middle Level: Jonathan Apostol, Monett MS
- Kansas City (GKCMPA): Jeff Meisenheimer, Lee's Summit North HS
- Northwest: Robert Bowers, Lathrop HS
- Northeast: Scott Daly, Hallsville HS
- Southeast: Dan Hecht, Kelly-Benton HS
- Southwest: Sarah Odom, Cherokee MS
- South Central: Jim Pritchett, Rolla HS
- Central: Brandon Harding, Cole Camp HS
- St. Louis (SASSP): Andy Croley, McCluer North HS
- NASSP Board Member: Kevin Lowery, Lebanon HS
2018-2019 District Presidents
- Central Region: Jonathan Peterson, Smithton HS
- GKCMPA: Charlie Belt, Blue Springs South HS
- Northeast Region: Deborah Hill-Haag, Mexico MS
- Northwest Region: Beery Johnson, Benton HS
- SASSP: Gary Jansen, Crestview MS (Rockwood)
- South Central Region: Kelle McCallum, Washington HS
- Southeast Region: Lucas McKinnis, Bernie HS
- Southwest Region: Keith White, Buffalo HS
Thanks to Our Corporate Sponsors for Helping Support the Vision & Mission of MoASSP
Missouri Association of Secondary School Principals
The vision of MoASSP is to serve ALL middle level and high school administrators.
The mission of MoASSP is to improve secondary education through positive leadership and the enhancement of student performance.