Parent Newsletter - March 27-- March 31, 2023
A Message from Mrs. Petru
Hello Thundercat Families,
Tennis had a spectacular week!
Thundergames is coming soon- April 28th, 5:30-8:30 pm! Thundergames Registration Link
2023 RTMS STAAR Dates- are available on our campus website Ronald Thornton Middle School
Each grade level held their grade level administrator POD talks on Monday, 3-20-23, to review building-wide expectations on tardies, dress code, acceptable use of technology, tutorials, hallway expectations, acceptable speech, lunch expectations, patio passes, incentives and our RTMS culture of kindness initiative.
FBISD Wellness: In collaboration with the School Health Advisory Council (SHAC), the district will host a wellness fair on April 5th at Marshall High School from 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm to provide students, staff, and their families with information and resources to support their mental and behavioral health needs. All FBISD students, families, and staff are invited. Attendees will have the opportunity to hear from three guest speakers who will provide information and resources for families with students experiencing mental health and behavioral health challenges. Following the speaker presentations, attendees will have the opportunity to interact with various local mental and behavioral health vendors.
Links: FBISD Whole Child Health Webpage ; April 5th Wellness Fair Flyer; April 5th Wellness Fair Flyer (Spanish)
Thundergames are back!
It's time to pick your teams and rally your pride. Thunder Games is on for Friday, April 28 at 5:30 pm! Get muddy, play games, and have fun!
Max of 6 students per team. Registration fee is per person and includes a team shirt, string bag with snacks and goodies, and a wristband for inflatables.
Event date: Friday, April 28, 2023. Registration fee is $30 per student.
Deadline to register is April 5th or once all spots are filled (whichever comes first!)
Students may also raise funds to earn additional prizes, and the registration fee counts as their first donation towards earning those prizes.
Staff vs. Students Basketball Game
Reminder: Students vs. Faculty Basketball Game April 6th. Ticket sales will be online for one day only April 4th @ 6:00 p.m. We will only sell 400 tickets.
Cost: $5.00 Your child must have their ID badge, No Office Referrals from 3/1- 4/6. The link will be sent to the community on April 4th.
Houston Dynamo Diesel’s Readers Program
The Houston Dynamo Diesel’s Readers program runs from 03/01/2023-03/31/2023. The program is open to elementary and middle school students. Each participant who reads five books in the month of March will receive a free ticket to a Houston Dynamo or Houston Dash home game via email on Tuesday, 04/04/2023. The top three schools with the most books read will win exclusive prizes and will be contacted on Friday, April 7th. Please see the flyer link below!
2023 Diesel's Readers - Spring One Sheeter.pdf
Registration - https://houstondynamo.formstack.com/forms/reading
2023-2024 RTMS PTO Board
The PTO is now accepting applications for the 2023-2024 RTMS PTO Board. If you are interested or want to nominate someone, please click the link below to complete the form.
Forms are due by Friday, March 31st.
Student Safety and Accountability Reminders:
Please see the student safety and accountability reminders below:
3rd Party Food Deliveries- No outside food deliveries for students will be accepted, (Grubhub, Postmates, Ubereats, Doordash. etc,
Student ID- Worn daily around the neck with the grade-specific lanyard. Use the link below to purchase lost/misplaced ID for your child. ($5)
10/10 Rule – Students are not able to leave the classroom during the first and last 10 minutes of class due to the importance of this time in the lesson cycle.
Out of Area - Students should only go to their assigned classroom for each class or at any time during the school day. This is a safety violation and a discipline referral will be entered.
Cell phones/Earbuds – Shall be kept in backpacks during the school day. If they are out, on or seen they will be confiscated. The only exception is for teacher-led instruction.
- Please note the 3rd offense will require a $10 fee. Refusal to give phone/earbuds for confiscation when out, on, or seen will result in a discipline referral.
Dress code- Students must wear appropriate length shorts/shirts No hoodies. No midriffs showing.
Thank you for you help in addressing these reminders with your children,
Here are some helpful reminders so your child can do their best on STAAR!
- Get a good night’s rest. Researchers have said that for optimum sleep we should put away all electronic devices at least 2 hours before we go to sleep.
- Get up in time for a good breakfast. Give the body and brain the fuel it needs for the coming day.
- We recommend that all electronic devices (cell phones, iPads, personal laptops) be left at home on the day of their STAAR tests. If they must be brought to school remind your student that they must be turned in and turned off for the duration of the test. Failure to do so will cause their test to be voided and disciplinary actions taken.
- On the day of all STAAR testing there will be no lunch deliveries to testing classes or visitors allowed in the building during lunch periods. This is for test security and to eliminate any distractions for those testing.
RTMS Cheer Tryouts
RTMS ID Update
The following are the FBISD guidelines on ID’s, which also included consequences pertaining to various ID infractions.
Wearing Student Badges
All students are required to visibly display their Student ID badge during normal school hours while on campus. The badge must be worn above the waist with the student’s picture clearly visible. Exceptions are afforded for students participating in vigorous activity related to recess or a PE credit class.
Student Badge Use
Student badges provide access to services within the building, including the following access/check-ins:
- Cafeteria meal payments
- Library services
- Entrance to campus events (dances, pep rallies, )
- Entrance to games
Student Badge Replacement
There are several reasons a student might need a replacement badge and no badge replacement fee will be required for the following circumstances:
- Student enrolls at a new campus
- Student appearance changes significantly
- Legal name change
Students are expected to turn in their old ID when a new one is provided.
Students who lose their badge will be offered temporary identification. If the old badge cannot be located replacement fees may be required.
Temporary Identification – Secondary Students Only
If a secondary student arrives at school without a badge, they will be given a temporary wristband to wear during the school day at the beginning of their first period on campus. The student must wear the wristband all day. The student’s name is recorded by the issuing staff member to assist with tracking.
- Recorded in Skyward but not a referral
- Student given temporary wristband
- Recorded as discipline referral consequence assigned
- Parent contact
- Student pays $5 for new printed badge
5th Offense and Beyond
- Recorded as discipline referral and detention assigned
- Parent contact
- Student pays $5 for new printed badge
DESTRUCTION OF BADGE
- Recorded as discipline referral in Skyward and detention assigned
- Student pays $5 for new printed badge
- Parent Contact
3rd Offense- Beyond
- Recorded as discipline referral additional consequences assigned
- Parent Contact
- Student pays $5 for new badge
- Assigned ISS
All fees will be entered and collected through RevTrak.
If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to any administrator.
RTMS STAAR Report Card 21-22
RTMS Cellphone Policy
First and second offense, students will get their phones back at 7th period.
Third offense and beyond, parents will have to pay $10 via RevTrak and come to the campus to pick up their child’s phone.
Reminder all cell phones/earbuds/air pods must be put in student backpacks before they walk into RTMS.
We are a cell phone free zone school.
From The Nurse
All immunizations for children and adults are available at Texas Vaccine Institute, Monday through Friday from 9::00 Am to 5:00 Pm. NO APPOINTMENTS NECESSARY, WE ACCEPT WALK-INS !
21811 Katy Freeway
Suite: D - 102
Katy, Texas 77450
Tel: 281-828 1893
FBISD Wellness Fair
A student is tardy when they arrive less than five (5) minutes after the bell without a pass. Arrival after twenty (20) minutes without a pass students are truant. Each teacher will record tardies in Skyward.
• Tardy: Student Conference with Teacher
• 2-3 Tardies: Parent Contact by Teacher
• 4-5 Tardies: Disciplinary Referral, After School Detention
• 6+Tardies: Referral; Saturday Detention and Parent Conference
Arrival & Dismissal Reminder
The safety of our Thundercats is top priority and we appreciate everyone adhering to our dismissal process.
Parents please be kind to our RTMS neighbors and do not drop off or pick up students in those areas. Please use our car rider line. Thank you for your understanding in keeping our Thundercats safe and our neighbors safe too.
· If you plan to drop off/pick up your student by vehicle, please remain in the RTMS designated car rider line.
- When dropping off students for tutorials or clubs 7:50 - 8:15 am, please use the second lane crosswalk area, in the front drive, to drop off in the morning.
- Please have students exit and enter vehicles near the front curb of the campus.
Thank you in advance for following the car rider map.
Thank you for helping to keep our thundercats safe !
Thank you for reaching out to the Ronald Thornton Middle School Attendance Office! Here are some frequent Q’s & A’s and resource information that may help address your concerns even faster:
1. What should I do if my child is absent?
If your child is absent from instruction, please attach your documentation to an email within 5 days of the absence to email@example.com
2. I believe my child was incorrectly marked absent.
Please contact the teacher who marked the absence. If it is incorrect, the teacher will either edit the attendance or contact the attendance office to make a correction.
3. What do I do if I need to pick my child up early for an appointment?
Sign in at the Front Office with your sate issued I.D., you will get a Visitor’s Badge to the Attendance Office. Sign your student out from the Attendance Office. Please remember to bring a doctor’s note back to school the next day to allow the absence to be excused. Please make sure if you (parent or guardian) are sending another person to pick-up your student/s, they are listed on the emergency contacts.Students will not be released if they are not on the emergency contact.
4. What if I need to add someone on my student/s emergency contact for early pick-up?
Email Christine.firstname.lastname@example.org the name, number and relationship to student/s with a copy of your ID.
5. What is the latest I can pick-up my student?
Student pickup is suspended from 3:40 p.m-4:10 p.m.
6. Do I need to call when my student is absent?
No, calls are considered a courtesy but not an excuse please follow up with a written note or medical note in order for absence to be excused.
7. Why is the absence still showing unexcused?
Once documentation is submitted, it can take up to 48 hours to show in Skyward.
8. What information should be included in the absence note?
Please include first name and last name, grade level, reason for absence.
9. How many days can my student be absent before they need a Medical Note?
According to the FBISD Parent/ Student Handbook, a student can be absent 4 consecutive days with a parent written excuse after the 5th day a medical note will need to be provided.
10. My student is sick and leaving from the clinic, do I need to sign out from the Attendance Office?
You will sign your student out from the Clinic only if the nurse or nurse’s assistant has spoken with you. The nurse will let the Attendance Clerk know and your student will be excused for the missed classes.
If the Nurse or Nurse Assistant does not inform you to pick your student up from the clinic then you will need to sign your student out from the Attendance Office and the student will be called from class.
11. Can my student wait for me in the entrance, if they know I am coming to pick them up?
Due to safety reasons and constant flow of entering and exiting the building, please DO NOT have your student wait for you in the entrance of the school.
12. My child forgot an item (lunch, band instrument, technology, etc.) at home, how can I get it to them?
We do not deliver items to students. Student will not be called out of class to retrieve items. A table is set up in the vestibule, where you are able to drop the item off, text your student the item is at the front of the school on the table. If allowed by the teacher they may come or during passing period to pick item up.
FBISD Breakfast & Lunch Services
- Free and reduced lunch forms open on August 1. It can be completed at www.schoolcafe.com/fbisd. Families must complete an application for each school year.
- Meal prices for 2022-23 School Year:
- Student Breakfast: $2.00
- Secondary Lunch: $3.00
- Parents may put money in student’s accounts PRIOR to the 1st day of school to avoid longer lunch lines at the start of school.
Please understand that we cannot honor requests for students to ride bus routes other than their own designated route. Students who do not have bus-riding privileges will not be able to ride the bus with their bus-riding friends. Therefore, please plan accordingly so that everyone experiences a smooth dismissal each school day.
Connect to RTMS via your favorite social media outlet.
Join the official Thornton ThunderCats Facebook page!
Please visit and join us HERE.