by: Maria VIllegas
- Thaddeus Stevens was a member of the United States House of Representatives from Pennsylvania.
- Thaddeus Stevens was a leader of the Radical Republican faction of the Republican party during the 1860's.
- Thaddeus Stevens was a fierce opponent of slavery and discrimination against African-Americans, Stevens sought to secure their rights during reconstruction.
- The Fourteenth Amendment to the Unites States Constitution was adopted on July 9, 1868 as one of the reconstruction Amendments.
- The Amendment addresses Citizenship rights and equal protection of the laws, and was proposed in response to issues related to former slaves following the American Civil War.
- It was to define national citizenship and forbidding the states to restrict the basic rights of citizens or other persons.