WC Cyber Program Newsletter
Greetings from Dr. Barnello
What an exciting - and busy - time of the year!! As we wind down the school year, I wanted to share with you some final end-of-the-year "happenings". I hope all of our Cyber Families will join us at our End of the Year Bingo event on June 1st in our WC Cyber Center.
- June 1st - BINGO End of the Year Celebration
- June 1st - All materials (textbooks, novels, etc) must be returned to the Cyber Center. Feel free to bring them with you to our End of the Year Bingo Event!!! Students in grades 6-11 will keep their laptops.
- June 8 at 3 pm - Any work submitted after this time will not be reviewed by our faculty.
Please be sure to pay attention to communications coming from your home building regarding end-of-the-year festivities. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out!
Summer Learning Opportunities
- Theme-Based Programs - These are enrichment programs offered in a variety of content areas including World Language, Social Studies, Family & Consumer Sciences and many others!
- Preview Learning Courses - All students will have access to asynchronous learning opportunities to prepare themselves for the 22-23 school year.
- Middle School Foundations - These in-person classes are designed to support students that did not pass a core class. Students will register for these courses at the conclusion of the 21-22 school year.
Current 8th Grade students also have the opportunity to take Original Credit high school courses over the summer. These include Geometry and Introduction to Computer Programming.
For more information, please visit our Secondary Summer School webpage.
West Chester Communities That Care is Seeking Your Input!
Each year WCASD partners with West Chester Communities That Care to bring expert speakers on timely topics to parents in our community. This local non-profit is already planning for next year's line up of speakers and would like to learn what topics the WCASD community would most like to see covered. Please take two minutes to complete this brief survey. Together we will improve outcomes for youth.
Our counselors would like to remind you that they are not in their buildings over the summer. If you have any questions or concerns related to the end of this school year OR next year, please reach out to them before June 10th.
Parent / Family Engagement Sessions - Social Emotional Learning
A note from our Technology Department
The West Chester Area School District offers resources to staff and families published by Smart Social. Here are 18 cybersecurity tips for families and schools:
But there is more!
We are pleased to offer our staff and district parents a paid subscription to Smart Social’s Very Important Parent (VIP) Program. Josh Ochs, author of Light, Bright, and Polite, and his team created this resource to help teachers and parents understand the myriad of social media apps, which ones are safe, which ones to avoid, and how to help their students create a safe and positive digital presence. Through newsletters, live events, and a library of on-demand videos, staff and families can learn how to support their students in making good choices when using social media.
This subscription is completely free through July 31, 2023.
Please accept a FREE membership and learn how to navigate the popular social media apps your students (and your own children) use so they can stay safe and Shine Online!
It’s EASY & FREE to sign up!
1. Visit https://smartsocial.com/westchester to create an account
2. Get access to all of the courses and sign-up for live events at https://smartsocial.com/members