Amanda Moore Elementary School
March 2017 Chalkboard News
March is Reading Month: Readers Rule...How will You Measure Up!?!?
March is Reading Month will kick off Wednesday, March 1st. To tie in our newly implemented leader in me program, we will tie in qualities of being a leader and the importance reading has on our daily lives. We will share many books that include characters and themes that exemplify leadership qualities such as courage, kindness, perseverance and how one can embrace the qualities to RULE!
Student council will read (via video) The Jelly Donut Difference, by Maria Dismondy. Teachers will share this book with students Wednesday, March 1st. This book is written by our Literacy Night author. It is a book about the importance of Sharing Kindness with the World. We hope to see everybody Thursday March 2nd, in the Amanda Moore library to welcome Maria Dismondy.
The Amanda Moore Student Council members brainstormed many ideas to help celebrate literacy throughout the month!
Students need to strive to RULE their mindset and their lives by reading at least five times weekly. They will then turn in their ruling reader ticket which measures the number of times they read that week for an opportunity to be part of the weekly raffle.
Outside the door of each classroom, there will be measuring sticks showing not only how students are measuring up in their reading...but also in displaying leadership qualities, such as kindness, sharing, caring, and friendship. Each class is asked to set a goal in both areas of reading and leading (more detail on kick off info sheet). Readers are Leaders!
1. March 1st Kickoff: Use the picture book The Jelly Donut Difference, by Maria Dismondy, to introduce the importance of being a leader in everyday ways, such as acts of kindness. Pajama Day (pennies for pasta). Students will donate $1 to participate.
2. Door Decorating Contest! Be creative!
3. Readers are leaders by visiting the classrooms throughout the month
4. March 2nd: Dr. Seuss’ birthday
5. March 2nd: Family Literacy Night- 5:45 p.m.
6. March 8th: Amanda Moore Birthday celebration: Show your ‘team’ spirit by wearing your Amanda Moore wear! Look for Questions of the Day!
7. March 9th: Spirit Day: Read Your Shirt---Wear a shirt with words
8. March 10th: Students ½ Day—Run home and Read!
9. March 17th: Spirit Day: Dress like your favorite book character
10. March 24th: Spirit Day- Career Day---how will you rule in the future--dress like your future career
11. March 30th: Amanda Moore Game Night: More info coming soon
12. March 31st: PJ Day: Wear your comfy jammies, bring a stuffed animal and get ready to relax and rule with reading. (School wide R & R & R--Rulers get to Relax and READ—after recess for classes that meet their goals)
13. Weekly raffles based on reading at least 5x throughout the week.
Jump Rope for Heart
8:25-9:10 5th Grade
9:10-9:55 4th Grade
9:55-10:40 1st Grade,Mrs. Burns
11:40-12:25 2nd Grade
12:25-1:10 3rd Grade
St. Baldrick's Event
The flyer below shows how students can earn a chance at an Xbox One S by joining the Amanda Moore Team!
• Only active registered students are eligible
• Students must be registered on a school team to be eligible
• Only on-line totals will be used in this contest
• Deadline for on-line totals will be Saturday, March11th at noon.
• Winner will be announced no later than Tuesday, March 14th at 3pm
Visit romeosb.com for more details.
Xbox One S donated by Romeo Accountants.
Sign up today romeosb.com
Spring Parent Teacher Confereneces
Pasta for Pennies (Leukemia & Lymphoma Society)
Family Fun Night
- Bounce House
- Sparkles the Clown
- Photo Booth
- Carnival Games
Daddy Daughter Dance
LOST & FOUND
Amanda Moore Elementary School
Romeo Community Schools:
Board of Education:
Mrs. Anita Banach, President
Mr. Chris Young, Vice President