Family Newsletter-August 27, 2020
Entering into a Comprehensive Distance Learning model has not been taken lightly by our district. We have been working diligently to provide the best plan that is committed to our work grounded in equity and the opportunity for the most success for our students on a temporary basis, this school year. In order to provide for this path to success we have had to shift staffing around to ensure these opportunities. Going into the CDL model and eventually a hyrbid model, our district will be working with K-2 class student to teacher ratios of 20:1 to eventually be able to bring them back everyday in a hybrid. The ratio we are working with for 3rd-6th grades is 33:1. Their hybrid return would be on an alternate day schedule in smaller cohorts. That does not mean all classes will be exactly at 20 or 33 since students do not come in perfect packages of these ratios. With that being said, one way to meet these ratios was to shift our elementary Music and PE teachers into classroom teacher positions. You will see that Ms. Young will now be joining our 2nd grade team and due to our enrollment numbers shifting, Mrs. Harrington was transferred to Hillsboro Online Academy for this school year. We are excited that Ms. Young is staying in our Lenox community and will be able to bring her wonderful knowledge, experience, and unique, engaging skill set to a classroom of eager 2nd grade learners. Because we value what Music and PE has to offer our students, HSD has a PE teacher and a Music Teacher who will be pushing out online lessons through our Google Classrooms for our students to engage in during this school year.
Below you will find some important information regarding this year's classroom teachers, topics and questions that teachers will be asking when they reach out to you starting next week through Sept. 11th, and other need to know information. We are excited for what this school year will bring and can't wait to "see" you all real soon!
Mrs. Gina McLain
Important Dates to Remember
- September 2-3 & 8–11: Welcome Back Conferences--Lenox staff will be reaching out to each student and their family to welcome them back to school and ensure they have the technology tools and skills to be successful in an online environment. They will also help identify any needs or concerns a family or student may have. More info coming soon.
- September 8-11: Chromebook/hotspot and material distribution. More info coming soon.
- September 14: Comprehensive Distance Learning begins
- Mid October: District reviews health metrics and considers a timeline for moving to Hybrid Learning and will notify students and families.
- November 5: End of 9 week quarter
Classroom Teacher Information
Below are this year's classroom teachers. Class lists have been set and we will be notifying you about who your child's teacher is by email early next week.
Welcome Back Conferences: Sept. 2-11.
- learning about your child's strengths and interests
- asking about any concerns you might have for the upcoming school year
- supports you may need for Comprehensive Distance Learning
- sharing information regarding resources you might be interested in to meet other needs (food, supplies, etc.)
We are excited for this opportunity to make connections with you and partner together for your child's success this school year! You will be hearing from your child's teacher next week.
Comprehensive Distance Learning Family/Caregiver Guide
ParentVUE & Online Verification
Please make sure you have your ParentVUE account set up. ParentVUE is a tool for parents to access real-time information related to their student’s education progress. You can view your student’s schedule, attendance, grades, assignments and more.
Please make sure you complete the Online Verification through ParentVUE now so that we have all of your current information in our system. This ensures that you receive all communication from the Hillsboro School District and Lenox. The verification also asks important questions about our return to school this year, such as access to technology and other needs. It also asks you for Google Suite permissions for your student(s), which enables your student(s) to use Google, our Learning Management Platform for Comprehensive Distance Learning. Click here to learn more about Online Verification.
For more information about ParentVUE, please click HERE
School Supply List
Here is our K-6 school supply list for Comprehensive Distance Learning. Please do not worry if you are not able to get these items, we've got you covered!
- 2 -3 Regular Composition Notebooks/Spiral Notebooks
- 1 Graphing Composition Notebook (Grades 3 – 6)
- 1 Box Crayons
- 1 Box Colored Pencils
- 1 Eraser
- Glue Sticks or Glue Bottle
- Pencil Box
- Headset/Earbuds with Microphone (if possible)
Students will also need a computer/Chromebook for Comprehensive Distance Learning which we will provide if needed. We will also provide additional hands on items/manipulatives that are needed for distance learning. A schedule for pick up and/or drop off these items will be sent out closer to the start of school.