THE LION KING
BY: BRANDON BRYANT
- Produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation and released by Walt Disney Pictures.
The film was directed by Roger Aleres and Rob Minkoff , It was produced by Don Hahn, and has a screenplay credited to Irene Mecchi, Jonatahn roberts and Linda Woolverton.
- 32nd animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series.
- Released on June 15, 1994.
- It is the highest-grossing 2D animated film in the United States, And the 3rd highest grossing animated film of all time, and the 21st highest grossing feature film of all time. It has two Academy Awards for its achievement in music and the Golden Globe Award for Best motion Picture -Musical or Comedy
- The movie takes place in The Pride Land where a king rules the land. Simba, King Mufasa and Queen Sarabi's son, is born and tension begins to arise. Mufasa's younger brother Scar is now unhappy because he was to replace Mufasa as king next in line. When Simba grows to a young cub his father shows him the ropes and tours him of the kingdom, teaching him about the circle of life. Scar tricks Simba and his best friend Nala into visiting a dangerous elephant graveyard where Simbas father told him to never go near. At the graveyard three hyenas attack the cubs before Mufasa rescues them. That night, the hyenas, under Scars direction plan o kill Mufasa and Simba.
- The next day Scar lures Simba to a gorge and tells him to wait there while he gets Mufasa. The hyenas stampede a large herd of wildebeest into the gorge. Now Mufasa must rescues Simba, but as Mufasa tries to climb up the gorge's walls, Scar throws him back into the stampede. He is then trampled to death. Scar then convinces Simba he is responsible for his fathers death. That night, Scar announces to the pride that both Mufasa and Simba were killed in the stampede. Simba ended up running away. Now Scar is king
- Simba then grows up in the woods living a care free life with his new friends Timon and Pumbaa. He eventually meet back up with his childhood friend Nala. Simba sees a ghost of his father who tells him to go back to the Pride
- Land and be king. Simba does so and deafeats Scar. He realizes he was not responsible for his fathers death. Simba takes his place as the true king and "the circle of life' continues.
My favorite part of the movie is when Simba meets Timon and Pumbba. They are hilarious and teach Simba about how to survive. They also teach him how to have fun and live life to the fullest. I would like to live like this one day. All the animals living together in one setting reminds me of how life could be if everyone got along. A lion obviously could not live with a warthog and a meercat but it puts into perspective how humans of different standards could live together in piece.
Why Should You Read?
The Lion King is important to read because it displays how greed can make someone turn into a whole different person. Scar wanted to be king so badly that he killed his own brother for it. Scar's greed ended in lives being lost and an unsuccessful kingdom. In the end he did not end up being king anyway so the real question is was it worth it? Another reason to watch this movie is the simple fact that the circle of life is a real thing. There really is a cycle in the way we live and in the way things happen.