Willie Brown Elementary News
August 15, 2018
Parent Orientation Meetings
1st Grade - Monday, August 20th 6:00-6:30 in 1st grade classrooms
2nd Grade - Monday, August 20th 6:30-7:00 in 2nd grade classrooms
3rd Grade - Tuesday, August 21st 6:00-6:30 in 3rd grade classrooms
4th Grade - Tuesday, August 21st 6:30-7:00 in 4th grade classrooms
CAMPUS VOLUNTEERS - YEARLY BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIRED
Because the safety of our students and staff is our top priority, those wanting to become MISD volunteers must go through the following security measures before serving in the district:
- Volunteers must provide a driver’s license or another form of identification containing the person’s photograph issued by an entity of the U.S. government to verify identity.
- Volunteers must pass a criminal background check. The online form is available here. MISD uses a reputable third-party company to obtain criminal background checks. The form asks for a social security number to conduct the background check. Please note that credit scores and credit reports are not obtained during the background check process. The information given will only be used to determine criminal history. MISD cannot require parties who are not employed with the district to provide social security information. If an applicant opts out, the background check process may take longer in order to cross-check information.
The background check must be renewed each school year. Any completed prior to July 1, 2018 are now expired.
NEW Dismissal Procedures!
Safety of our students is a priority for all of us. We needed to update our procedures in order to provide the safest environment possible. Please read the 2018-2019 Arrival & Dismissal Procedures.
1. Any person picking up a student at the end of the day MUST have the school provided pick-up sign to display. Anyone who does not have this sign will have to go to the office to check out your student.
2. The pick-up car line is now DOUBLE LANE!
We fully expect there to be questions and patience needed from all as we implement these new procedures.
Bus Rider Policies
Bus riders will receive a bus tag from their classroom teacher on the first day of school. ALL students are required to wear their bus tag the first few weeks of school.
MISD requires that all PreK, Kinder, and 1st grade students wear an official MISD Bus Tag when riding the bus. Please help us to ensure that your student has their tag daily.
1. If your child wishes to provide some kind of treat for their class on their birthday, we highly encourage something non-edible.
2. We can distribute edible treats to students at the end of the day in individually wrapped containers that go home with the students...not to be consumed at school. The parent providing the edible treat is responsible for individually wrapping.
3. Party invitations can only be distributed at school if inviting the entire class or one gender of the class. Partial class invites will not be distributed at school.
Birthday students are invited to share their birthday with the entire school during morning announcements.
MISD Student Dress Code Revisions
Eagles Read! Summer Reading Program
Completed reading logs are due on or before August 30th. Be sure that your child's name and teacher's name are recorded on the form.