TMS Community ROAR Report
Be the Change
Happy New Year to our Thurmont Middle School Families! We hope that you had a wonderful and relaxing winter break. As we approach the start of the second half of the school year, we want to thank you for your continuous support towards our goals of the school. With your support, we will continue to strive for a positive and welcoming school environment for all. Please consider the following ways you can assist your student for the second half of the year:
- Talk with your student about social emotional learning (e.g. how to share thoughts and feelings in a respectful way to promote learning).
- Stay in touch with your student’s classroom teachers to keep open lines of communication.
- Review Schoology and discuss classroom topics and skills in all academic areas.
- Access Tutor Me through the Clever Portal.
We look forward to our continued parent/school partnerships and working together to support all of our students. Here's to a happy and healthy start of 2023!
Be the Change,
Christopher Bittner~Assistant Principal
Anita Shank~Assistant Principal
TMS Martin Luther King Jr. Award
We are extremely proud of Colton! Please join us in congratulating Colton for this great honor!
Be the Change!
Important Dates and Upcoming Events
Important Calendar Date Reminders
- Tuesday, January 10th-End of Term 2
- Wednesday, January 11th-Schools Closed-Teacher Work Day
- Wednesday, Janaury 11th-PBIS Roy Rogers Fundraiser
- Monday, January 16th-Schools Closed-Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Wednesday, January 18th-Vision and Hearing Screenings at TMS
- Wednesday, January 18th-SGA & Leo Club @ 2:30pm
- Thursday, January 19th-Vision and Hearing Screenings at TMS
- Thursday, January 19th-TMS Chorus Concert at CHS-6:00pm
- Tuesday, January 24th-Report Cards Issued for Term 2
- Wednesday, January 25th-Spring Musical Auditions @ 2:45pm
- Thursday, January 26th-Spring Musical Auditions @ 2:45pm
- Thursday, January 26th-8th Grade Information Night @ CHS-5:00pm
- Wednesday, February 1st-SGA Meeting @ 2:30pm
- Thursday, February 2nd-Community Food Drop @ 3:30pm
- Thursday, February 2nd-PTA Meeting @ 5:00pm
Please Continue to Reinforce with Your Student our TMS Norms.
Purchase Your TMS Yearbook!
2022-2023 TMS YEARBOOKS ARE ON SALE NOW
Get your pre-sale yearbook for $25 (soft cover) and $30 (hard cover) ONLINE SALES ONLY
Please click here to order your 2022-2023 TMS Yearbook
Get your copy now at the Pre-sale price. Sale Ends on April 9, 2023.
Any extra copies after the sale ends will be $35 and on a first come, first serve basis. We will NOT hold or reserve any orders.
Please contact Ms. Coposky, Allison.Coposky@fcps.org, if you have any questions or concerns.
22-23 School Year Updates
Morning Arrival: Reminder, TMS doors are not open to students until 7:00 am, please do not drop off your student prior to this time as there is NO supervision of students prior to 7:00am. Thank you for your attention to this.
Morning Breakfast: Car riders and walkers need to be in their period 1 class by 7:25am. Breakfast will only be available until 7:20am (unless there is a late bus) since our school day begins at 7:25am. If your student wants to access breakfast at TMS in the morning, please make sure that they arrive before 7:20am.
Technology Fees: Students are responsible for damaged or loss of devices and may be charged for repairs.
1st Repair - $30
2nd Repair - $60
3rd Repair - $120
Lost Chargers - $30
Lunch Monitors at TMS: TMS has one daily Lunch Monitor position available. The hours are Monday-Friday (10:15 AM-1:15 PM). The pay rate is 15.36/HR. Please contact Ms. Anita Shank at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested or know of anyone who would be interested in applying for this position.
Position: Lunch Monitor
Hours: Monday-Friday (10:15 AM-1:15 PM)
Pay Rate: $15.36 /HR
Attendance Matters: The Thurmont Middle School Staff wants students to attend school every day. Absences mean that a student misses skills and concepts essential to academic success. Please take a moment to view our TMS Attendance Brochure.
What Can You Do:
- Talk about the importance of showing up to school every day.
- Help your student maintain daily routines.
- Seek out help for any issues that may be interfering with your student’s attendance at school, such as mental health, physical health, or peer issues.
- Work with school personnel to develop a plan to improve your student’s attendance.
- Know the school’s attendance policy – incentives and penalties.
- Check on your child’s attendance to be sure absences are not adding up.
No amount of make-up work can replace the quality of learning achieved in the classroom from direct instruction and interactions with the teacher and classmates.
If your child is unable to attend school due to an illness or doctor's appointment, or any other reason, please email a note to our attendance secretary, Ms. Shannon Ingram at email@example.com.
For early dismissals:
- Parent/Guardian will come to the office to sign student out
- Please bring your ID
- Allow adequate time to locate student for an early dismissal
- If you allow someone else to sign your student out, please note the name you authorize in your note to the school. They will be required to show ID to pick up student.
Don’t forget, when going to a medical appointment, remember to get a doctor's note from their office. We will update your student's attendance accordingly.
FCPS Bus Delay Information:
A quick and easy resource to check if your child's bus is delayed is to visit https://apps.fcps.org/transdelay/ This site is updated in real-time to reflect any bus delays.
Volunteering at TMS:
Are you interested in volunteering at TMS? If so, all volunteers must complete the virtual training linked here. Please note this must be completed to chaperone field trips. Please reach out to Shannon Ingram with questions/concerns.
TutorMe.com, a new, free student online tutoring and homework help service, is now available in any subject for students in grades 6-12.
TutorMe.com is a secure, online resource easily accessible through the FCPS Clever Portal and offers on-demand assistance. The TutorMe.com service provides assistance that aligns with the FCPS curriculum, including knowledge of new curriculum tools being implemented. The service maintains rigorous standards, providing high-quality, diverse tutors, screened for excellence (including a criminal background check). The service is available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. More information is available at the vendor website, www.tutorme.com and this Student Support Document.
FCPS Regulation Review
All schools are required to share the following FCPS Regulations:
Regulation 500 - 32: Replacement of Lost or Damaged Instructional Materials
Regulation 400 - 73: Responsible Use of Digital Technology
Regulation 400 - 48: Bullying, Harassment, Intimidation Complaint Process for Students
Regulation 500 - 05: Grading, Reporting, and Intervention-Secondary
TMS PTA Needs YOU!
2022-23 PTA Board of Directors:
PTA Meetings 5:00-6:00pm
February 2 General Meeting
March 2 Board Meeting
April 6 General Meeting
May 4 Board Meeting
Google Meet Link: https://meet.google.com/kwp-hdkz-new