We would like to thank everyone for a very successful start to the 2021-2022 school year.
4th Grade McTeacher Night!
Fourth grade Miller students had their McTeacher Night fundraiser on September 21st. The funds they raise go towards future field trips.
5th Grade G.R.E.A.T Program
- Tuesdays - Mr. Torres's class 11:45-12:45
- Wednesdays - Mrs. Kennedy's class 11:40-12:40 and Mrs. Forrester's class 12:40-1:40
Bullying Awareness/Prevention Month
As a parent, you want to protect your children and you want to teach them how to stick up for themselves and for what is right. Help your child learn how to prevent bullying by talking to them about the issue and encouraging them to speak up.
Explain to your children what bullying is, and that it is NEVER acceptable. Express your concern and make it clear you will listen and you want to help.
Teach your child what to do when they see or are a victim of bullying. Talk to them about which adults they can turn to and what to say when asking for help.
Let’s focus on being KIND!
Every Monday in October: Kick up Kindness
· Wear shirt with positive/kind words & boots
Week of October 4th: Perform Random Acts of Kindness
· Have 3-5 do kind things for K-2
· Help with breakfast – Read to young ones – Do an activity, etc.
· Try to catch students (and staff) going above and beyond to be kind to others & let Ms. Heil know
Week of October 11th: Stand Up for Others
· Be part of the solution, not the problem
Week of October 18th: Don't let anyone at school eat alone in the cafeteria or on a field trip.
· Make it the week of #NOONEEATSALONE
Week of October 25th: Morning Meetings
· Teachers will hold a discussion in the classroom where they allow students to openly speak and discuss their experiences with bullying and cyberbullying, and how these experiences have effected them and how they dealt with these moments.
Hispanic Heritage Month
Click on the link to learn more about Hispanic Heritage Month
Community Resource of the Month
Russel Child Development Center is a community- based nonprofit organization. It is the umbrella organization for seven early childhood programs in 19 Southwest Kansas Counties. Some of the programs offered include: attachment and behavioral catch-up, child & adult food programs, learn-and-play activity groups, targeting case management, and positive parenting classes.
Services are offered in English and Spanish, in person, or online via Zoom. To schedule an appointment or to inquire about various programs, call 620-275-091. https://www.rcdc4kids.org/
Teaching Tidbit (provided by the Russell Child Development Center)
7 Triple Positive tips
- Praise, pay attention, and reward your child for behaving well.
- Discuss rules with the children and involve them in deciding on household rules.
- Respond to misbehavior by calmly and firmly telling your child what to stop doing and what to do.
- Respond to misbehaviors right away and try to consistent and react the same way every time.
- Expect reasonable behaviors from your child but don't expect perfection.
- Don't be hard on yourself. You are learning, too.
- Take care of yourself.