Mr. Farrell @ Ladue Horton Watkins High School
Welcome to Calculus! But what is Calculus?
Click above for more information on the AP Exam.
Click above to learn more about the differences between Calculus AB and BC and which course is best for you.
How will I be successful in this course?
Have an open mind, a great attitude, be prepared, and work hard! Calculus is a difficult subject that requires deep thought and perseverance from great students. Take advantage of this amazing opportunity to learn more about a subject that describes our world in a way that has changed the world and the way we live!
- You are expected to attend class every day that the class meets.
- Be on time for each class. You will be marked tardy if you arrive after the bell.
- If you know you will be missing a class, please notify me before the class. If you miss a class, contact me before the next class to find out what you missed.
- You will receive a zero on any test or quiz given on a day that you were absent.
- The best way to avoid problems is to communicate with me as much as possible.
Student course work will be assessed on a regular basis. Assessments will include daily homework problems, quizzes, tests, and a semester final exam.
- The homework problem sets are intended to help students grasp the foundations of the topics and their applications and answer in precise mathematical language, both verbally and in written sentences; this also serves to help familiarize the students with the style of AP questions.
- Quizzes and tests will include, but not be limited to, problems like those in the homework and problem sets.
- Quizzes and tests may include both calculator and non-calculator sections.
- Quizzes and Tests make up 80% of the course grade; Semester Finals make up the remaining 20%.
- Practice is the key to success in Calculus. It is imperative that you reinforce new concepts outside the classroom. Assignments should be completed by the next class.
- Each of you can succeed as long as you are willing to learn from your mistakes and reinforce your success. Homework is an important part of the learning process in math courses.
- You will receive a homework assignment for each section we cover in this class. These assignments will only be a minimum of what you should complete in order to be successful. It is important to develop good work habits now in order to be successful in all your mathematics coursework. Homework quizzes will be based on the homework problems.
- See "Homework Problem Sets" above for more details on homework expectations.
Most classes will begin with a homework quiz.
- If you have difficulty completing assignments, see me during Seminar or after school.
- I expect you to attempt all parts of the homework.
- Only your best 10 Homework Quizzes per semester will count in your grade.
- Homework Quizzes will be given at the beginning of class.
- Homework Quizzes will be unannounced.
- Make-ups will not be allowed for late or absent students, but you may view the quiz after it has been given to all class periods.
- Each chapter ends with a test over the material covered in that chapter.
- Questions may be similar to homework problems from the chapter and AP-style questions directly related to topics covered in that chapter.
- Keep in mind that mathematics is a subject that builds on itself; this is especially true in Calculus. Concepts covered in earlier chapters will be used throughout the course.
- All chapter tests will be worth 100 points each.
- If you are absent on a test day a grade of zero will be entered in Infinite Campus until the test can be made up.
- Per the Ladue Student Handbook, you have 3 school days to make up the test. A grade of zero will be given for tests not completed within the timeframe set forth by the Ladue Student Handbook.
- No re-takes on tests will be given.
Students are required to have and use a graphing calculator. The preferred calculators are the TI-83+, TI-84+, and TI-Nspire.