The CityLab Connect
Week of October 10th, 2022
MESSAGE FROM OUR SENIOR SPONSOR
My name is Lauren Dowdy. This is my 4th year teaching at CityLab and my 12th year teaching in DISD. I am the Lead English teacher and senior sponsor this year.
I can’t believe it’s already the end of the first 9 weeks! I keep telling the seniors this year is going to fly for them, and it certainly seems like it is. One of the special aspects of our small school is that the teachers get to know the students well. I have taught most of the seniors twice, and I am so excited to support them as they get ready to graduate!
The seniors have already been very busy this semester. They are demonstrating leadership as they prepare for their post-secondary plans and support school initiatives and programs. Here are a few things they’ve been working on:
- We held our first senior meeting! Students got an overview of graduation requirements and important senior expectations for the year.
- Senior Ambassadors supported programming for 130 6th graders from Ignite Middle School when they visited campus. The seniors helped organize groups, facilitate rotations between teacher sessions, and field student questions.
- Senior Ambassadors and Student Council, along with other student clubs, are planning activities for our CityLab Fall Festival on October 25th.
- This week, Mr. Henery will work with all of the seniors in his English IV and AP Literature classes on their college essays, brag sheets, and recommendation letter requests.
- Seniors and their parents came to campus for an informative FAFSA/TASFA night and started the process of applying for federal and state financial aid for college.
- Working with our college support provider, ASP Dallas, and our amazing counselor, Ms. Crawford, students have been researching and applying to colleges. Some have already received acceptance letters!
We are so excited to celebrate the growth and accomplishments of our seniors this year!
10/13-End of first 9 weeks
10/17-Second 9 weeks begins
10/18-EF Tours-Amsterdam and Paris Spring 2024
10/25-Fall Festival 4:30-6:30 PM
10/27-Parent Conferences/Senior Meeting
10/31-11/4-Drug Free Awareness Week
Campus Drop Off and Pick Up
School day is from 9:10 AM to 4:30 PM.
All students will enter and exit through the front door located on S. Ervay St.
All students will go through a security check prior to entering the building.
- Bus drop off/pick up will be at the front of CityLab High School on S. Ervay St.
- Bus drop off and pick up times vary for each route. Please refer to either the CityLab website or the Dallas ISD website for specific route times.
- Parent/Guardian student drop off/pick up will be on the side of CityLab High School on Corsicana. Please follow CityLab monitor instructions during drop off/pick up.
Please do not to park for pick up opposite the buses on Ervay or on Corsicana west of Ervay.
- Student dropped off begins at 8:15 AM on Corsicana.
- Parent/Guardian student pick up will be on Corsicana with parents/guardians lining up starting at 4:25 PM. For quick and efficient pick up, we ask that parent do not park in the spaces on Corsicana.
Students will not be realeased for early pick up after 4 PM.
Schedule for week of 10/10/2022
Monday, Oct. 10-A Day
Tuesday, Oct. 11-B Day
Wednesday, Oct. 12-A Day
Thursday, Oct. 13-B Day
Friday, Oct. 14-No School