By: Suaad Zafar and Annana Shaikh
Mini video about Ice storms:
What are ice storms?
How do they happen?
Damages done by Ice Storms:
Since the road is icey/slipery, these cars have a higher chance of crashing.
Homes are being destroyed by the affects of ice storms.
Many trees spilt in half from the pressure of the ice and fall on top of cars and other objects in the area.
What happens to the environment/area and the living organisms after the storm?
After the storms the area is fully covered by a thick layer of ice. The weight of the ice causes a lot of distruction around the world. Their is a high probabilitie that the power and telephone lines will be cut, and that the heating and air condiotioning will no longer work. The road may be blocked by fallen trees or branches. Many cars slip and crash into one another. The environment is affected because many trees, plants and crops freeze or fallover and die. Also, without proper care floods can occur in the area. Some of these trees may also split in half. The organisms living there will be exposed to the cold and can die from frostbites hypothermia.
What are the countries that ussually have Ice Storms?
Ice Storms most commonly occur in the following countries:
- United States
- New York
But they can still occur in other countries that have not been listed.
What is the difference between a Snow Storm and a Ice Storm?
- Ice can increase the weight of a branche by 30 times!
- In 1998 a ice storm in New York caused 1.4 billion dollars in damage!
- Ice storms occur mostly in the months of december and January.
- Most deaths in a year are related to ice storms. (Eg. Car crashes)
This diagram explains how ice storms are made.
This map shows you where ice storms are likely to take place.
This diagram explains how ice storms form.
True or false:
1.) Their are about 30 ice storms a year.
2.) Ice storms are the related cause of the most deaths in a year.
3.) Ice can increase the weight of a branche by 30 times.
4.) Canada, United States and New York all have ice storms.
5.) Ice storms start off as Hail.
- "Winter Storms." Weather Wiz Kids. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Dec. 2015.
- "Billizards." Blizzards. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Dec. 2015.
- "Ice Storms." Severe-wx /. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Dec. 2015.
- "11 Facts About Ice Storms." Do Something. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Dec. 2015.