Tips For Applying For a Green Card Photo

If you have not yet applied for an American green card, you are missing a golden opportunity. A permanent resident card, the American green card, allows legal residents from more than 180 countries to legally live and work in the United States. Your age, citizenship, and five-year experience as a U.S. citizen determine your permanent resident status. You have many advantages to applying for and obtaining an American greencard, but there are also many hurdles that you must overcome if your not an American citizen.


The most important requirement for applying an American green card photo requires that you attach a recent photo of yourself, either yourself with your visa number or your spouse and/or children. The green card photo should be taken within the past six months and should reveal your current appearance. Although you don't have to submit a photo if your spouse or child is already a legal resident, it will still count. If you are applying for either a husband or wife visa, then the photo requirement also applies to you.

Another requirement is that you must be at least eighteen years of age, unless you qualify for an expedited green card photo. Please note that this photo requirement does NOT apply to children under the age of sixteen. Some photos are required to be a minimum of 2 inches by 2 inches, but those requirements vary greatly. The United States Visa and Immigration Services website have a list of acceptable photographs. Please ensure you adhere to the requirements for each visa type.

When applying for a green card photo, it is important to remember that it can take quite a while to receive your documents. The United States authorities will take about three to four months to review your application. If you submit your application online, it could take up to eight weeks for you to receive a reply. You may need to wait up to one month if you apply in person.

There are additional requirements when applying for a greencard photo. In addition to having your photograph on hand, you may have to submit proof of marriage or a divorce decree, or proof of citizenship or naturalization. You may be asked to submit a religious statement, or renunciation letter in some cases. This will describe your personal beliefs about your origin country and how you are associated with that country. Your naturalization or citizenship papers will need to be translated into your native language.

Before you submit your photo submission, please contact the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services if you have any special requirements. They will give you more information, including the forms you will need to fill out and the forms you will need for your photo submission. It is a good idea to speak with an immigration attorney before you begin the process of filing for your immigrant visa. An immigration attorney will help you understand your options and assist you in completing your forms correctly. If you have any questions or concerns, you should speak with an immigration attorney before you submit your photo.